Current release: WordPress 5.6.1
A new minor releaseMinor Release A set of releases or versions having the same minor version number may be collectively referred to as .x , for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, 5.2.3, and all other versions in the 5.2 (five dot two) branch of that software. Minor Releases often make improvements to existing features and functionality. of WordPress is in the works:
Next release: WordPress 5.7
Over the end-of-Gregorian year holiday, work towards WordPress 5.7 continued regularly. Fewer people attended chats and scrubs but they happened nevertheless.
BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 is scheduled for February 2nd and work continued to make sure things are ready for that first milestone.
GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
- At the beginning of every month, planned tasks are posted. This is what was planned for January.
- Gutenberg 9.7 and 9.8 were released.
- Notable improvement to the CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. Editor: Drag & Drop Blocks and Patterns from the Inserter
Miscellaneous blog posts, updates, and discussions published in the Core Blog
- Front-enders, input need on how to go about implementing the use of CSS Custom Properties in the WordPress Admin
- Are you interested in documentation or do you work extensively with the blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. editor? Check the updates on the overhaul of the block editor handbook: January 15 and January 25
- The conversation about the possibility of aligning the WordPress release cycle to the industry standards continues.
- What to do with Stale Issues in Gutenberg Repository? Leave your feedback in the post.
If you would like to read more granular reports, check the Week In Core updates.