WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. Europe Online 2020 Contributor DayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., taking place on 4 June, is getting closer. Only three and a half weeks to go. How exciting!
WCEU team has asked every Make team to prepare for the Contributor Day in different ways. Some things we have asked are tightly related to WCEU, with the intention to help attendees get most out of the day and ease the workload of Make team facilitators during the day as well.
Because the team is organizing first-ever virtual Contributor Day at this scale (500 anticipated contributors) and the day is just around the corner, we need the information from each Make team to finalize our plans.
Deadlines for providing the information for us:
- Thursday 14 May 24:00 UTC (midnight UTC) Make team video introduction submissions
- Monday 18 May 24:00 UTC (midnight UTC) other information that was asked:
- Scheduled European timezones friendly office hours taking place in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. between 25 May and 3 June, targeted for new contributors
- Need for an introductory session to help onboard new contributors after opening remarks
- Rough estimate of how many working groups your team needs during the day
These things are needed by the deadlines because we are sending the first email for Contributor Day attendees during next week (week 21), featuring all Make teams attending to Contributor Day and providing the information about how to get ready for contributing.
Teams that have not provided us with these details by the deadlines, are considered to not take part in the WCEU 2020 Online Contributor Day.
A longer update on how the day is going to work will be shared with you in a few week’s time. In short, the tools are going to be:
- Youtube Live for opening and closing remarks. Pre-recorded introduction videos will be used during opening remarks. For closing remark updates, a facilitator from each Make team will be invited to the Zoom call that is relayed to Youtube Live.
- Making WordPress Slack will be used for communications
- Introductory sessions are held in Zoom, where we also provide a possibility to have meetings on a request.
Thank you for working with us on creating first large-scale virtual Contributor Day and smoothing experience for new contributors!