Update: I’ve asked for help splitting each unit into modules and identifying questions for each module. Hopefully we can get it into an active state by the end of September. ~Josepha, Sep 5, 2019
In March, I shared a post outlining a new concept of team leadership, but then I was asked to coordinate a major releaseMajor Release A set of releases or versions having the same major version number may be collectively referred to as “X.Y” -- for example version 5.2.x to refer to versions 5.2, 5.2.1, and all other versions in the 5.2. (five dot two dot) branch of that software. Major Releases often are the introduction of new major features and functionality. which took up most of my attention. Today, I’m picking right up where I left off.
I want to be sure the process is as open and clear as possible, so I’d like to continue with this plan:
- Post an open call for people interested in learning more about team leadership (that’s this post!).
- Send interested people the team lead training + quizzes.
- Host group orientations with people who pass the quizzes.
- Identify team leads (and immediate future leads) from there.
The Team Lead Training Materials
There are five sets of training modules, compiled by contributors from the Global Community Team. Each module consists of existing content from project handbooks, plus some added “best practices”.
There was a closed pre-alpha review from Andrea Middleton, Sarah Semark, Tammie Lister, and me. There was an alpha review from current team reps, team reps in training, and former team reps. This marks the start of the public call for comment.
Materials for Review
- General Knowledge
Once all the feedback on these materials has been added, they will then become training modules similar to those available to people wanting to become Community Deputies.
Share your feedback!
These docs will be open for about two weeks. Then I’ll combine and refine the feedback, and start moving the documents into training modules.
I have two requests for you, dear WordPress Contributors:
- If you want to learn more about becoming a team lead, please leave a comment below with the team you currently participate in and which team you’d like to help lead.
- Please leave any feedback you might have on the training itself in the comments of the documents above.