For all teams, maintainers, and contributors: Daylight Saving season is upon us. Many teams adjust timing of meetings based on the EU dates and you can, too! You can learn more about each of these teams at make.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/.
From the Development Teams
- Shipped: WordPress 5.2 Beta is released and ready to test!
- Shipped: A standalone Gutenberg playground environment has been merged.
- Discussion: Coding guideline changes have been proposed for CSS naming and Experimental / Unstable JS APIs in GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
- Discussion: There’s a discussion on a new block directory and new type of pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party underway.
- Discussion: There are updated Tide docs and feedback is requested.
- Discussion: There is a new block registration RFC.
- Action: Some extra code help is needed in Tide’s 1.0.0 milestone.
From the Design Teams
- Shipped: Usability tests on the Navigation blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. are complete.
- Shipped: New tags are being used in the design workflow.
- Discussion: There’s a new PR that explores the widget-blocks in a wp-admin page.
- Discussion: Initial thoughts on getting blocks into the Customizer have started forming.
- Action: Design reviews have been requested on the controls for resizing media in the Media+Text block, the resize handle bar for media, and the section block.
- Action: AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) reviews have been requested on headings hierarchy checker, linked gallery images, adding subtitles to video block, and how the keyboard text selection triggers block selection unexpectedly.
From the Programs Teams
- Discussion: There’s a new proposal for a WordCamp Asia that could use some feedback.
- Discussion: There’s also a new proposal for a Support Appreciation Day.
- Discussion: A discussion of future iterations of the Community Summit is open and feedback is requested.
- Discussion: The training team is considering an update to how they manage their contributor badges.
- Action: There is a call to write docs for the new Open Collective processes (specific to do_action and OS training).
- Action: A number of projects are underway including: KidsCamp, WordCamp Incubator, Speaker Diversity Outreach,
From the Operations Teams
- Shipped: ~15 privacy tickets were merged for 5.2.
- Discussion:A proposal for localizing HelpHub has been shared and feedback requested.
- Discussion: Please review and comment on the draft plugin privacy audit workflow
- Call for examples of great work done with Gutenberg (I think this goes to +make.wordpress.org/marketing but I can’t find a post).
- More WordPress CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. e2e tests are needed, so if you can write some please lend a hand!
- Call for Review on #46199 from any REST APIREST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. developers.
- The section block PR is open for feedback
- Mar 31 – DST starts in the EU
- Apr 7 – DST ends in AUS
- Apr 30 – Proposed 5.2 release date
- May 11 – Global WordPress Translation Day 4
Did I missed something? Is some additional context needed? Leave me a note in the comments!