For all teams, maintainers, and contributors: Daylight Saving season is upon us. Many teams adjust timing of meetings based on the EU dates and you can, too! You can learn more about each of these teams at make.wordpress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/.
From the Development Teams
- Shipped: Block editor is in the mobile apps as of 11.9
- Shipped: Automated testing of accessibility standards for themes is now available.
- Discussion: Block Directory discussions have begun; an initial direction has been proposed and feedback is requested.
- Action: There is a call for hosting companies to join in on E2E testing (more info).
From the Design Teams
- Shipped: Improvements to the Custom Color Picker.
- Shipped: The Block Management modal has made an adjustment from “Disabling” blocks to “Hiding” blocks.
- Discussion: How to show a “hidden” blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. is still being discussed; please share your feedback!
- Action: Testing for responsive controls in blocks is ramping up. Read more about the testing plan and how to participate on make.wordpress.org/design.
- Action: Design work on the Showcase is underway, and there is a call for helpers.
From the Programs Teams
- Discussion: A proposal for localizing HelpHub has been shared and feedback requested.
- Discussion: A discussion of future iterations of the Community Summit is open and feedback is requested.
- Action: The Kim Parsell Memorial Scholarship 2019 application is open.
- Action: There is a call to write docs for the new Open Collective processes (specific to do_action and OS training).
- Action: A proposed roadmap for continued privacy work is published, and feedback is requested.
From the Operations Teams
- Shipped: The first iteration of user documentation for the new block editor is now available.
- Shipped: The Theme Sniffer plugin is now available in the pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party repo; this plugin is expected to streamline theme review efforts.
- Shipped: The plugin review team shared some important reminders around best practices and expected behavior.
- No additional calls
- Training needs some theme devs with a little extra time (#, #)
- AccessibilityAccessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) would like feedback on #29022 and #33030
- Cron would like a logic check of #44818
- Mar 10 – DST starts in the US
- Mar 13 – 5.1.1 release date
- Mar 21 – WordPress 5.2 BetaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 (feature freeze)
- Mar 31 – DST starts in the EU
- Apr 7 – DST ends in AUS
- Apr 23 – Proposed 5.2 release date
- May 11 – Global WordPress Translation Day 4