I really appreciate all of the thoughtful feedback I received on my post “Our Strengths and Challenges”. Many concerns were shared — I’ve done my best to synthesize them below — and I think there are some immediate changes we can make to address some of these difficulties. But first, let’s take a look at what we’ve uncovered.
From my reading, contributor requests can be grouped into three areas:
- Clearly stated project goals and values
- Consolidation of discussions and needed skills across the project
- Better coordination between teams
- Clearer responsibilities and goals for teams
- Collaborative conflict resolution methods
- Understanding of roles, leadership structures, and decision making
- Understanding of self-sponsored volunteering vs company-sponsored and how much time any volunteer has available to contribute
- Proactive identification of issues that could affect the whole project
- Smoother hand-off for component maintainers (both with code and without code)
- Ways to help WordPress make a positive change in the broader context of the web
- Awareness that active contributors come from all over the globe
- Better recognition and celebration of successes
- Understanding of how to participate in vision-setting and prioritization
How Can I Help
As we (the WordPress community) work toward addressing these concerns, I think we’ll see easier planning, a reduction in burnout, an increase in meaningful participation, and easier collaboration.
The communication requests seem to be something I can help with right now. I’d like to start with these two changes:
- Weekly digest on this site
- Regular asynchronous AMAs in SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. or on this site (I don’t know the best place to host this)
I would love to hear which of these things listed above you all feel would have the highest impact. Or if you think they will all have equal impact, I suppose. 🙂 Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!