This is what the Design Team has been focussing on in February 2018:
Our weekly meetings occur on SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. two days:
- Ticket triage Monday’s from 17.30-18.00 UTC
- Weekly Meeting from 18.00-19.00 UTC
The weekly meeting agenda and meeting notes are published on our team page for more detailed insights on our activity.
Inspired by the Marketing team, we want to emphasise that all design work for WordPress is done by volunteers.
GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
Designers continue to be involved in this project, with two design leading and many more contributing.
WordCampWordCamp WordCamps are casual, locally-organized conferences covering everything related to WordPress. They're one of the places where the WordPress community comes together to teach one another what they’ve learned throughout the year and share the joy. Learn more. for Designers
We’ve started a first brainstorm and discussed possibilities for a WordCamp for Designers
Calls for design
We’re actively reaching out to the other teams for calls for design, which resulted in:
- @mapk called for designs on illustrations and @cathibosco delivered a lovely set of “Freedom”-themed illustrations
- Native WordPress plugins could still use icons and headers, see ticket #596
- @Rileybrook requested feedback on Gutenberg issue Language around transformations inconsistent #4416.
- @xkon requested ux-feedback on #41143 Theme/pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party editing
- There’s a need for Growth council pages on .org for people not familiar with WordPress.
- We delivered a featured image and a PDF design for the WordPress Jargon Glossary as called for by the Marketing Team
If you have a call for design, please post it as a comment to our latest meeting agenda, or post a call in our Slack channel
On a weekly basis, we go over the oldest tickets that need UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it./UIUI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. feedback to catch up. The goal of these is to look at each one and see if we can progress the issue in some way. Tickets that were discussed this month are: #40237, #28753, #26605, #31284, #24040, #36583 , #37934, #18162, #39626, #39289,
Overall improvement of communication and structure
To make it easier for new contributors to find out what’s going on, we’ve continued improving our overall structure and communication. This is work in progress.