Slack Log (Requires Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account.)
The agenda for the meeting can be found here.
Introductions and Welcome
In attendance: @azhiyadev @courane01 @nikhiljoshua @onealtr @peteringersoll @tantienhime @arasae @rkohilakis @webcommsat
Welcome to the following:
- Welcome and Support Flow Wranglers – we are still looking for team members interested in managing account access to Learn/Training team sites, and answering any questions for new people. This could also include helping new team members draft meeting recaps, pointing them to specific content in the handbook, and more. Interested? Let us know!
- Meeting Note Takers – We haven’t had any meeting notes for a few weeks now and urgently need help with this. It is a great way to learn more about the Training Team and what we are working on. Interested? Let us know!
- A Dedicated Volunteer Program for the Training Team – this is similar to the deputies in #community-team but specific to Learn/Training. Comments on this have now closed. A8C will be hosting a session to document all the work that goes into Learn WordPress management. This has been scheduled for the week beginning 8th November. Exact times and dates to be communicated. Everyone is invited.
- Meeting Time Changes – Please let us know your preference for future meetings by completing our poll. We will close the poll at next week’s meeting and annouce the results after the meeting.
- Contributor Days – these are open opportunities for our team and anyone interested to participate.
- Contribute2WP with WP Engine – Sign up forms are on the WP Engine post, and this is awaiting review from their team. Many will be new to contributing and Learn itself. @rkohilakis is going to work on some instructional design ideas that could help out. This will hopefully develop into a workflow around working with Subject Matter Experts.
- Documentation for faculty program with Automattic – we will await more info on the Automattic contributor session will occur during the week of November 8.
- Comments needed on GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ about Workshops – this is a continuation of the video production quality.
These folks have contributed content, community outreach, and more over the past few months. Check out your .org profiles @peteringersoll @binarygary @hughlashbrooke @rkohilakis @west7 @arasae
- Learn Content- the following workshops have now been published:
- How to create a Post of Page with the WordPress Block Editor @west7
- Managing Settings: General @rkohilakis
- We need start a workflow to promote these. During Yoast’s contributor day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/., @abhanonstopnewsuk @vimes1984, @yvettesonneveld and others began drafting social media posts to promote each published item on Learn. We’d will continue sharing what is published and ready for promotion. This will be held in #marketing after their team meeting which starts at 14:00 UTC.
- Learn Maintenance
- Check out the list of open Learn issues on GitHub. If you are interested in helping out then please let us know.
@courane01 is going to write a lesson plan, create a workshop vid, get her workshop subtitled, and work on the Training team course.
@rkohilakis will be breaking down the Admin Setting lesson plan into smaller video chunks as the original video was too long. She has also hosted her first discussion group. She will continue to keep updating the Setting workshops and plan for another meeting. For those interested in running a discussion group check out the following:
@azhiyadev will recap all the meetings for this month.
@arasae is still working on the course Getting Started With WordPress: Get Familiar. She has experienced a few issues uploading and linking to videos. She is considering making a few short video workshops to embed into the course as well as to engage all learning styles, specifically on Posts vs. Pages, demo content, and possibly query loops
@peteringersoll asked if we have any stats on video workshops and courses viewed. This could be an indicator of how effective the promotion of new workshops is. We will be promoting content on Learn as part of the collaboration with #marketing tomorrow. @hughlashbrooke said video views are hard to obtain but page views can be obtained via Google Analytics. He is going to ask for this to be added to the dashboard.
@peteringersoll asked if our hashtags are #LearnWP and #wptraining. @webcommsat confirmed that our hashtags are #LearnWP (in this format). #marketing does monitor #WPTraining which is used for non LearnWP items but it is not one that is currently used by #marketing. There are some promotions outside of WordPress, like #LearnWordPress that can be more effective.
You are welcome to join the team at any time! If you are new to the Training Team, please introduce yourself in the #training channel before the meeting (or anytime!) and feel free to join us in the meeting and participate as you are able.
Training Team Mission
The WordPress training team helps people learn to use, extend, and contribute to WordPress through synchronous and asynchronous learning as well as downloadable lesson plans for instructors to use in live environments, via learn.wordpress.org.
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects.
- Getting Involved:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/getting-started/
- About The Team:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/about/
- Our Team Blog:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/
- Our Content Roadmap:- https://trello.com/b/BsfzszRM/wordpress-training-team-lesson-plan-development
- What We Are Currently Working On This Month:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/category/sprint/
- Learn WordPress Roadmap:- https://trello.com/b/rK1tztAA/learn-wordpress
- Learn WordPress Issues Log:- https://github.com/WordPress/learn
- Our Lesson Plans:- https://learn.wordpress.org/lesson-plans/
- Our YouTube Channel:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxqNA0WORZXWurEP6cNV6w
- Learn Website:- https://learn.wordpress.org/