Notes on January 3, 2019 Meeting

Slack Log (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

Welcome and Meeting Outline

  1. Handbook Updates
    1. Revising the Style Guide
      1. Examples displayed should be relevant to Github formatting
      2. Slides style guide wasn’t functional as the slide display tool was discontinued. Suggest moving to https://pages.github.com/ . 
      3. @juliekuehl will update this page.
    2. Add tasks for semi-annual handbook updates to our team Trello board.
      1. 2 weeks before time changes begin, communicate about if the meeting moves times.
      2. Update a few places on the handbook displaying meeting times
      3. Update annual team goals
  2. Videos
    1. @jessecowens has been working on editing the atom video with some updates. He expects both the atom video and the one on slides to be complete by end of January
  3. Learn.WordPress.org
    1. The Design Team is still working on re-doing the design based on the recommendations of the meta team.
  4. Lesson Plans
    1. Regrouping about what lesson plans are in process next week to get more ready for the relaunch of the Learn site
    2. Possibly conduct a video meeting to brainstorm regrouping on lesson plans.
    3. Work with Kids Camps for workshop plans
    4. Repo Maintenance Labels for tagging lesson plans
      1. @courane01 will brainstorm ideas this week to be reviewed next week (January 10) and finalized on January 17.
      2. These will be part of the lesson plan submission process
    5. Meeting Wrap Up and Next Meeting Next meeting on 10 Jan 2019

#handbook, #slides, #videos

Recap of November 10, 2015 Meeting

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Welcome
  2. Recap of last meeting
  3. Making workshops out of lesson plans
    1. We need your help to create groups of lesson plans (proposed workshops). You can read more about why we’re doing this and also add your ideas for workshops to our post on this topic!
    2. After we have a rough list of workshops, we will make a push to complete any lesson plans that will work across workshops.
    3. As a team, we’re going to try to get an average of one proposed workshop a person this week.
  4. Lesson plan progress – no updates
  5. Testing progress
    1. Pittsburgh Meetup Tested Conditional Tags last week and will be testing the Loop on Thursday. @torlowski is/was presenting both and we will submit feedback ASAP.
  6. Quarterly Lesson Plan Audit
    1. We are doing our quarterly audit to determine an accurate list of plans people are currently working on. If the plan you are listed with is correct, please ping @abuango or @bethsoderberg to let them know. If you can no longer work on the plan listed, please ping and let us know. We’ll ping people in our Slack meetings for the next three weeks and the list will also be in the meeting recaps.
      User Lessons
      managing menus @wpnzach
      what can you do with WordPress @meaganhanes
  7. Training Handbook Outline
    1. @courtneyengle has created an outline for how the training documentation could be organized.
    2. The handbook discussion will be the first priority of next week’s team meeting.  We’d like to get set at that time so that we can start actually creating the content, especially any super important details, before the WCUS contributor day on dec 6. At this time, it’d help if you can review what’s on the outline above.  Next week, share if we’ve overlooked any areas, if there are things that you think will help orient new people to the team, how we can continue to make it clear how and what the training team does, etc.
  8. WCUS
    1. Getting ready for #wcus will be the focus of the team meeting on November 24.
    2. We’ve been working on a few foundational areas as a team, and will have an opportunity during WCUS Community Summit to hopefully finalize some things. @courtneydawn has been heading up our efforts on providing slides to lesson plan instructors.
    3. Please, please, please comment on the slides post!
    4. If you’ve tested plans, please comment on this post about what slides you did/did not use.
  9. Contributor days
    1. Will anyone who attends the training team meetings be attending the WordCamps/Contributor Days in Berlin or Orlando this coming weekend? If so, please ping @courtneyengle or @bethsoderberg

#contributor-days, #slides, #wcus, #workshops

Recap of November 3, 2015 Meeting

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Welcome
  2. Recap of last meeting
  3. Lesson Plan Updates
    • A few abandoned plans were taken over by contributor day attendees at WordCamp NYC.
  4. Testing Updates
    • We had a conversation about the need to improve our testing feedback process:
      • @torlowski will do a trial run of having a feedback form for participants in the session at tomorrows WP Pittsburgh meeting
      • @bethsoderberg will write up a post on the website so folks can share their ideas.
      • We’ll continue to revisit this topic and have a full discussion in the coming weeks.
  5. Lesson Plan Audit
    • We are doing our quarterly audit to determine an accurate list of plans people are currently working on. If the plan you are listed with is correct, please ping @abuango or @bethsoderberg to let them know. If you can no longer work on the plan listed, please ping and let us know. We’ll ping people in our Slack meetings for the next three weeks and the list will also be in the meeting recaps.
    • User Lessons
    • Theme Lessons
  6. WordCamp NYC Contributor Day update
    • The WCNYC contributor day was last Friday and we had awesome volunteers who worked mostly on abandoned lesson plans.
    • Feedback from @bethsoderberg: We need to have one very clearly defined set of tasks for people to work on and it is best to have a real person there to explain them. I think if we didn’t have a real human, we might not have attracted any volunteers. I also learned that our auditing of plans to make them current is something that (at least for me) I could not explain to new folks how to do very well because we don’t have a system since that is still an experiment so I think someone needs to go through with the work @mikemueller and @judylwh have done to make a process with clear instructions on how to do this new thing.
    • Our long term goal should be to recruit volunteers to be the liaison at contributor days since obviously when limited to the current team members we can’t be at all of them.
  7. Team Handbook Outline
  8. WordCamp US
    • During the annual WordCamp – now WCUS, not just WCSF, there is a community summit day.  We have a few topics in terms of how the training team works that we need to talk about with the WP community at large. In order to be ready to ask those key people for help, we need to have a few things really thought out and documented. Therefore, preparation for WCUS is going to be our priority in the next few weeks.
    • Please add any items you have to the agenda in progress.
    • If you haven’t already, please comment on the slides post and also if you’ve tested plans, please share the slides you used,  or the method, or the print outs, or anything that would be a “material” .
    • We’ll also focus on refining our process to keep lesson plans updated.

#content-audit, #contributor-days, #slides, #testing, #wcus

Recap of October 20, 2015 Meeting

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Welcome
  2. Recap of last meeting
  3. Lesson Plans
    1. @torlowski will work on finalizing the Backing Up Your WordPress Site plan
  4. Testing
    1. The Pittsburgh Meetup will test Conditional Tags (@torlowski) and the Loop in November, reports @melindahelt.
    2. If you have tested a lesson plan, please comment on this post with any links or information on any slides you did/did not use.
  5. Slides
    1. @courtneydawn tested one of the plans using the lesson page as the “slide” and it was hard to use what we have as is in real life. She is wondering if our  primary product should be the lp slides and the write-up might be better as “notes” and also noted that slides being used in a meet-up setting are geared towards more of a show/tell than a install, show, do process.
    2. What are people who are testing doing? Are they making their own slides, are they adding content, removing content, etc.?
    3. We want to add a question/request to the testing feedback form that says “Please share all created media from your testing session”. We can’t get files submitted through support flow, so @courtneyengle and @bethsoderberg are going to connect and experiment to try and find a process that will work this week.
  6. Location of Team Documentation
    1. @courtneyengle is going through and finding all of the random things that SHOULD be in our documentation and tagging them with the procedures tag.
    2. @linnifred has lots of expertise in organizing data and is going to go through and see if she has additional input/suggestions.
  7. Lesson Plan Accuracy
    1. @mikemueller and @judylwh have started sorting out our existing lesson plans.  They are reviewing if any content should be updated to coincide with WordPress updates.  Their initial documentation can be found here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DAG_iSZEDW07Y9q8dcMpAyEK9QtKhuLDEOqrP7hsgGc/edit?usp=sharing
    2. We ran out of time while starting the discussion of this item and will pick it up again next week.

#content-audit, #slides, #testing

Call for Slide Decks from Tested Plans

In our ongoing quest to gather requirements for slides, the team decided during our October 6, 2015 meeting that it would be helpful to gather all of the slide decks people have created thus far while testing lesson plans to see what people are actually doing in regards to using slides with the plans we’ve created. This will help the team come to a productive solution for creating slides that will complement the lesson plans.

With that, here is a list of lesson plans that have been tested. If you are one of the folks who has tested a plan, please comment on this post with the following information:

  • whether or not you used slides
  • if you used slides, a link to them
  • if you used slides but do not have a link, please comment anyway and someone will coordinate with you to try and get your slides to the group

If you are not on this list, but have tested a plan, please leave a comment AND submit the testing feedback form.

 

 

#slides, #testing

Recap of October 13, 2015

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Welcome
  2. Recap of last meeting
  3. Lesson plans status and questions
  4. Testing status and questions
    1. Feedback provided on “Anatomy of a Lesson Plan” via Pittsburgh WP Meetup
  5. Update on slide decks from tested plans
    1. Upcoming blog post with a list of tested plans that we’re looking to collect slides from, hopefully in the next week
  6. Continuation of the location of team documentation discussion
    1. Our handbook is currently being used to store our lesson plans.  This is confusing for those looking for our handbook.
    2. Pain point: the confusing nature of the “empty” lessons that have been started with just the template and are sitting there in the handbook
    3. Suggestion to make the lessons plans that are in-progress not public
    4. The web address https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/ says that it is a handbook, but in fact it’s the parent page for Lesson Plans. (@courtneyengle)  It reads visually as a page error – I was waiting on something to load (@irishguy)
    5. No matter where we store Lesson Plans – that top page for them is awfully blank… like no book cover art.  It’s just a jump to the table of contents.  It’d be weird if that were a paper book
  7. Review of plan to ensure accurate lesson plans and call for volunteers to get this started
    • Moving forward we will use a new column in our Lesson Plan Tracking Spreadsheet  titled “Ongoing Review” to identify the lessons that need to be revised because of changes to WordPress itself. Team training will divide responsibility for monitoring changes to WordPress itself between regular contributors to the team and contributor day volunteers. The tracking process will cover major or point releases and will include the following steps:
      1. We will use the change logs found in the Codex (example: https://codex.wordpress.org/Version_4.3) and the release blog posts (example: https://wordpress.org/news/2015/08/billie/) to determine whether there are plans that need to be updated.
      2. If a component of WordPress is significantly changed in an update of the software itself then we will run a keyword search to flag ALL lessons that mention that component.
      3. We will review the flagged lessons and remove any from the list that aren’t affected.
      4. Any lesson plans with confirmed updates required based on updates to WordPress itself will be redirected to the team training queue of plans that need content updates made to them
  8. Upcoming Contributor Days
    1. Documentation on current WordPress releases can be found in the Codex (see Current Version of WordPress at https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Versions) and on the Blog in the “Releases” category.
    2. We’re only looking for possible inaccuracies on the lesson plans that are approved for testing.
      1. One person to scan through the point releases and make sure nothing beyond security stuff is in them that would impact the plans. It is identifying “if a component of WordPress is significantly changed in an update of the software itself” and noting what that change is.
      2. Run a keyword search to flag ALL lessons that mention that component.
    3.  @mikemueller volunteers to start reviewing lesson plans approved for testing compared with WordPress 3.9.  Mike Mueller and @judylwh will collaborate for WordPress 4.0 accuracy.

 

#content-audit, #contributor-days, #procedures, #slides

Recap of October 6, 2015 Meeting

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Welcome
  2. Time Zones – Our team meetings will continue to be 17:00UTC when daylight savings time happens in the US and Europe and anywhere else. Our team site now displays the next meeting time in the sidebar widget in a way that is now localized to the time zone you are in. YAY!
  3. Recap of last meeting
  4. Slides – We are still working toward what needs to be done before WCUS to submit our official request for slides, and what/how they are created, etc. Please comment on our P2 post! We had a little impromptu discussion on slides and what kinds of comments we’re looking for to propel our conversation forward at WCUS. We talked a little about the PDF option specifically and had the following questions/thoughts:
    1. Is there a workflow that we could use that would result in PDF only slides that would be able to be created by and edited by anyone, regardless of whether or not they have licenses for proprietary software?
    2. One of the concerns with PDF is that it can’t be edited. Perhaps if we go with a slide plugin (that makes the slides HTML of some sort) is that it has an “export as PDF” option. That way if something is updated in the lesson plan, then the PDF will be updated when the presenter exports one as needed.
    3. A possible existing plugin to explore in terms of capabilities: https://wordpress.org/plugins/html5-slideshow-presentations/
  5. Contributor Day calendar
    1. We now have a calendar of upcoming contributor days. Thanks to @judylwh for getting this populated!
  6. Lesson plan updates
    1. The customizer user plan is up for grabs if anyone would like to work on it.
    2. @meaganhanes will take on the What Can You Do with WordPress plan.
  7. Testing updates
    1. The Pittsburgh meetup is testing the Anatomy of a Theme plan tomorrow
    2. We received feedback from the Intro to CSS plan that was also tested at the Pittsburgh meetup
    3. @bethsoderberg will make a list of plans that have been tested and will post something to the P2 requesting all existing slide decks from people who have tested plans. We’ll use what we gather to inform our slides conversation.
  8. Location of Documentation
    1. What are the pain points with the current structure of where data is located on make.wordpress.org/training?
      1. We are not easily able to find our stuff or know what stuff there is to find. – @juliekuehl
      2. Our main navigation menu contains some of this stuff… but doesn’t include what we’ve started to come up with for other things… like our new procedure for audits and contributor days. – @courtneyengle
    2. What needs do we have in terms of organizing documents and collateral for the training team?
      1. We need to be able to find our stuff efficiently. – @juliekuehl
      2. If EVERYONE else is using the [handbook to store documentation], we should too. – @mikemueller
      3. WordPress TV’s is an example of a handbook that we all love: it is accessible, organized, etc. – @courtneyengle, @mikemueller, @meaganhanes
      4. We need to dig back into the archives and also consider what belongs in the handbook, and then think about where to store the pages that contain lesson plans. – @courtneyengle
  9. We started talking about how to move forward with reviewing plans to make everything up to date per our larger conversation on ensuring accurate lesson plans. We ran out of time and will loop back to this next week.

#contributor-days, #procedures, #slides, #testing

Agenda for September 8, 2015

  1. Greetings
  2. Recap of last meeting
    • Abandoned plans will be reviewed quarterly
    • Next review will be in November
  3. Slides discussion led by @courtneydawn
    • See and comment on the Slides post for progress
    • Pros and cons of several formats were considered.
  4. Lesson plans status and questions
  5. Testing status and questions
  6. WordCamp Contributor Day Onboarding
    • Team thoughts on Get Started and blue box on Training page continued.
    • Scheduled posts on the P2 to help orient new contributors will be considered. See East Bay Meetup post.
    • Revisit Slack representation during events
  7. Questions

#contributor-days, #slides

Recap of August 25, 2015

Slack Log  (Requires Slack login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account)

  1. Greetings
  2. Recap of last meeting
  3. Slides discussion led by @courtneydawn
    • See and comment on the Slides post for progress
    • Pros and cons of several formats were considered.
  4. Use of tags and categories on the P2 are being implemented further. New tags will be assigned during team meetings.
  5. Lesson plans status and questions
    • Spreadsheet regarding claimed and abandoned lessons is current
  6. Testing status and questions
  7. WordCamp Contributor Day Onboarding
    • Team thoughts on Get Started and blue box on Training page continued from last week
    • Consideration to reword the introductory paragraph on the blue box to present the big picture of the Training team.
    • Tasks for contributors were reviewed
    • Scheduled posts on the P2 to help orient new contributors will be considered. See East Bay Meetup post.
  8. Questions

 

#contributor-days, #slides

Slides

WORK SO FAR

  • Perfect Plugin (so far)
    • accessibility
    • backwards compatibility
    • reuse
    • minimal learning curve
    • ability to use without internet
    • design consistency between different sets of slides
    • maintainability
    • ease of updates
    • ability to account for different aspect ratio displays
  • Slides formats we have tried
    • Google slides
    • Reveal

TO DO (add to comment section)

  • Plugin wish list
    • Explain items already in list
    • Add other dream feature requests
  • Explain Issues with external formats
    • Google slides
    • Reveal
  • Other formats (or plugins) we should try before WCUSA
    • PDF – need lp to try

#slides