Where I’m getting stuck on content flow

Hi all,

Per our last meeting on 1 August, I am writing a blog post on my effort so far to create a flow chart to visualize our content flow. I am really pleased to have so much information involved to try to organize or at least look at with fresh eyes, but I’m getting confused. I ended up with more questions, which I’d like to get insight on and then I can move forward.

  1. What exactly do we mean by “content flow”?
    • We have at least three, potentially four, flows that could fit this bill, based on the information I got from others and collected in one place. If we are looking for just one master, then we can do that and have sub-flows.
  2. Who manages or should manage this content flow?
  3. How did the historic flow work?*
    • (Did one person usher something from beginning to end, or were there different folks in charge of a step and ushered various somethings through that step?)
  4. Where did it tend to break down? If not sure about specific steps that became problematic, then what might have caused a general moving away from this flow? What has been the ad hoc process in the meantime if that flow isn’t working?

This is probably enough of a place to start. I know it’s frustrating to belabor something like this, and I don’t mean for us to dwell on what “went wrong.” This is not a simple thing to articulate and lay out, let alone implement, and the fact that there is anything at all is above and beyond most teams I’ve worked with. I’m looking forward to chatting on the 8th!

Recap of August 1, 2017 meeting

Updates on lesson plans, testing, and copyediting in progress

“Enqueueing Scripts and Styles”
@estes.chris reviewed @jenwill LP “Enqueueing Scripts and Styles.” After much discussion it was decided to:
1. Add meaningful learning objectives
2. Aplit the individual examples (how to enqueue X, Y, Z things) into “Stretch your Skills” section. This will require a change in the Style Guide and the wording might change.
3. Add a note somewhere about how we’re not teaching PHP here in this particular plan

@aimeegc will do 1 and 3. @bethsoderberg might grab #2 unless someone else does first.

Updates from last week’s team call

Content Flow
@aimeegc is working on the content flow task and is working through the rabbit holes. We may discuss this in the next video call. @aimeegc will post in the blog on the training site.

Progress report on training Asset Inventory

@conradhallauthor reported: “As a newbie to the #training channel, I have made time to read a few of the posts from the team. The meeting recaps have been quite helpful. If you think of the training site and team in terms of a house, it’s essential to know the existing structure before exploring what’s in each room.

After you know the structure and room contents, you can start thinking about what changes to make.

I have started building an outline for the container that will hold the inventory. I’m using the “hot mess” as my starting point. Which, by the way, seems less of a mess than it may feel to those very familiar with it.”

Do we want to do another call next week?

Yes. We will be using Zoom and it will be at the normal time.

Agenda for August 1, 2017 Meeting

We’ll be in the #training channel on Slack today at our regular time: 19:00 UTC. If you can’t be there, please let us know if you have updates or thoughts through the comments of this post or in Slack itself and we’ll be sure to include your updates in the meeting!

  1. Welcome
  2. Updates on lesson plans, testing, and copyediting in progress
  3. Updates from last week’s team call
  4. Do we want to do another call next week?
  5. Other announcements/open discussion time

Recap of July 25, 2017 meeting

Please note this was a video chat so the notes are a combination of verbatim quotes and attempts to summarize as people talked through ideas. If anything attributed to you is incorrect, please leave comments below, and feel free to add anything you felt was important but left out.

Attendees by the names on the video chat:

@estes.chris (Chris Estes
@melindahelt (Melinda Helt)
@donkiely (Don)
@juliekuehl (Julie Kuehl)
@coachWP (Scott Becker)
@aimeegc (Aimee?)
@bethsoderberg (Beth Soderberg)
@pbarthmaier

Topics

Leadership structure

Three people leading team meetings
Beth Soderberg
Melinda Helt
Julie Kuehl

They will be sharing duties at leading meetings

Two Notetakers

Chris Estes
TBD

Beth Soderberg said we will start updating WordPress Updates site

Discussion of Update site, which all teams are supposed to update. Our team has been a little rogue and we’re one of the newest teams. Only in the last year or two have we had the ability to make updates and as we’ve gained legitimacy as a team. One of the things we need to do to keep that legitimacy is to post updates regularly.

Team Goals

This is something we’ve lost site of. We’ve been very effective when we have a goal. When we don’t have one we tend to flounder about. A lot of people have been overwhelmed and as a result we’ve lost site of many of the goals we’ve had set for us.

Organize our website and migrate to Learn.WordPress.org

From Beth Soderberg pulling an old P2 Post
Yearly Goals:
1. Content flow solution
2. More solid copyediting process (ties into 1)
3. Proper handbook (ties to 1 + 2)
4. Outreach to local groups
5. An accessibility workshop

Melinda recommended putting one person as a POC for each goal. Also to create teams for each goal.

Julie: We’re missing project manager.

Beth: We also need to have migration to move to learn.wordpress.org

Scott: We need a way of giving results of testing. Several members remember discussing that at WordCamp 2015.

Julie: There’s an argument to be made that this is part of the content flow.

Discussion of slides, arguments pro and con.

We have a history of disagreement over the issue of slides. It’s caused a lot of stress for people in the group who have had to deal with his over the years.

Julie: We have a lack of on boarding materials that act as a form of knowledge management, including an actual flowchart of the content flow.

Julie: We’re using our handbook to store our lesson plans, which is wrong, and maybe all of this should go into the handbook.

Conrad: A tool we’ve started using is called Air Table which takes Trello and creates relational databases.

Julie: That’s completely legitimate but we need to go even further back and figure out what’s not working. I don’t think we as a team are solid enough in what we’re trying to do and how we’re going to do it to choose a tool to solve that problem.

Melinda pointed out that we need to keep everything as centralized as possible, such as using P2, despite it’s failings.

Beth: We need to scrap it all and start from the beginning:
What do we need in our handbook
How do we fit them into workshops

Melinda: Take a project (accessibility for example) and have people make the pieces needed to complete that project.

Conrad/Aimee: Suggestion to make a content audit. Build on that, categorize with goals in mind.

Pbarthmaier: We should harness questions of Conrad and Aimee because they have a fresh view.

Conrad: Offers to make a spreadsheet of what we have and will incorporate testing results from Scott Baker.

Julie: Likes the idea but wonders if we need to do that before deciding on goals.

Aimee: Chicken and egg thing. Get the information and then see how it fits with what we have.

Melinda concurred because of the “hot mess” spreadsheet, incomplete items in handbook. We’re going to need the audit for each stage. There may be pieces out there we don’t know we have.

Aimee: Agrees with Julie that you need the structure but that you also need to keep your mind open regarding the goals and whether to fit the content into the goals or alter the goals.

Julie: We need to have the checkboxes in the audit (content finished, version, correctness).

Beth: Thinks we need to go through content first.

Conrad: Agrees and thinks he can check some of those boxes.

Beth: Conrad will have Edit access to the whole training site.

Beth suggested taking out Outreach to local groups
Conrad recommended taking out accessibility workshop

Julie recommended folding that into general workshops

Aimee: That’s more of a curriculum.

Scott: I had to make agendas when I did it and if I didn’t know WordPress so well it would have been more difficult.

Drafts have to be on make. Drafts cannot be on Learn. Only finished products can be on learn.

Beth wanted to point out that many of the problems we have exist because of how well we’ve done at forming a team and creating content. “Startup problems” as Julie called them.

Melinda: Post the notes and add comments to the notes and maybe next week do a slack meeting and push the next video mention out further.

Julie asked if anyone was particularly good at creating flow charts as we go through the content audit. Aimee offered to work on that. Beth offered to help Aimee understand which pieces are involved.

Aimee: would like to know from each of us what we do. This will help us to understand what we’re doing and how that fits within the goals.

Beth: I think that what we do at this point is “not much.” And that’s because we don’t know what to do. This has been a rough year for individuals on this team. Auditing what we do right now — we need to step back and reset. I think we’ve lost whatever process we have.

Julie: We can come up with a process and just start using it.

July 18, 2017 Meeting Recap

Lesson Plan Updates
@jenwill: Enqueuing Scripts and Styles ready for copyediting, assigned to @estes.chris. Assignment will be made by @bethsoderberg in Trello.

New member @picturecities will review the style guide.

Images
@bethsoderberg may follow up on image ticket and ask if it is worth it for us to just replace them. Anyone writing lesson plans should continue adding their own new images.

WCDC
melindahelt noted we have new members and that they’ve been shown how lesson plans are set up. Also “discussed a little bit of the speaker training lesson plans that are in the works, and how to get those out to the broader WordCamp community to encourage new speakers, and I’ll do a P2 post on that at some point once the lesson plans are completed.”

Email Updates
@bethsoderberg: The meta team may have finished email update issue and this posting will be the test.

Virtual Summit
@bethsoderberg: If the email notification works the summit should be next week.
Possible agenda:

  • Team Leadership
  • Rest of Year Planning
  • Team Goals/Segmenting Goals Into Specific Tasks and Timelines

@bethsoderberg explained for new members that the virtual summit will be a video call very soon where we’re going to figure out exactly what we are going to do next as a team that will lead to more granular tasks.

July 11, 2017 Meeting Recap

Lesson Plan Updates
@pbarthmaier said we need to move the enqueue LP he and @jenwill have been working on into copy editing.

Copyediting Updates
None given.

Testing Updates
None given.

Virtual Summit
@melindahelt: So we’d like to give it another week to see if we can get the Jetpack issue worked out (which is what is used to email people the updates on the training p2 (blog) before we have the virtual summit. That way, people who may not have been around for the past few weeks will still know about it. Because of that, we are going to wait and plan on that for July 25th.

We’ll drop a zoom link into this channel that day. Same time, different place!

We are also hoping to use the post/announcement to get feedback about having a second virtual summit to work with a better time for folks on the other side of the world

So stay tuned for that (once the post by email is working).

@melindahelt: There will be some kind of plan and time for the discussion. Well focus more on the bigger picture things for the team, as you would for an in-person summit. I think we should try to post an agenda shortly after next week’s meeting to give some time for people to think/comment. I would suggest keeping it to an hour and if we need additional discussion on a point, we’ll turn it into a P2 post.

Images
@bethsoderberg: I have reached out to several folks on that ticket too. Someone did think they were related but now it’s starting to sound to me like they are more separate which is frustrating.

Q&A and Announcements
@melindahelt: Please join me to work on training team stuff during Sunday’s contributor day! Our plan is going to be to introduce the training team to potential new contributors (and welcome existing contributors) and have some lesson plans ready to write/edit as well as sharing the message that people can test plans on their own.

The image issue may hamper us from doing any testing, such as auditing the plans for WordPress 4.8 (we audited for 4.7 at WCUS Contributor Day), but we’ll see how that plays out.

June 27, 2017 Meeting Recap

Testing Updates
@melindahelt’s intro to WP at WordCamp Kent went really well: For someone who wants to do a start to finish WP 101, I’d say plan on 5 hours of instruction time for a workshop where the users are going to be building a simple site. Longer if you are going to cover installing WP and/or setting up hosting accounts. With poopy.life they were all up and running in less than 5 mins. That included basic WC breaks and no quizzes, using a prepared site. She included a downloadable .zip file with all the images and starter copy to save time.

There was some discussion on the pros and cons of using poopy.life (including lack of access for more dev-oriented LPs and the lack of longevity after your last login. Another service called thisistap.com was discussed.

Q&A and Announcements

Meeting schedule:
Next meeting is on the US Holiday the Fourth of July and the meeting is cancelled.

The next meeting will be on July 11. On July 18 there will be a video conference.

Problems on P2:
@bethsoderberg has been trying to track the issue in back-scroll on slack and figure out what ticket was submitted to whom. She also said @melindahelt is researching JetPack settings that have caused email notifications from P2 to stop. She needs help in understanding what to ask and who she should be talking to. @chmchm is working on a partially-completed LP and will continue with content but not upload any more images until the issue is resolved.

June 20, 2017 Meeting Recap

Lesson Plan Updates
@melindahelt is still working on the Enqueing Scripts and Styles lesson plan copyedits.

@bethsoderberg has a new contact who might be able to address the images issue according to @melindahelt.

@jillbinder said speaker training lessons are not ready to be viewed yet.

The Child Theme LP from @donkiely will be moved to copyediting.

@juliekuehl requested people put some eyes on https://make.wordpress.org/training/2016/04/26/speaker-lesson-plans/#comment-2654

Copyediting Updates
None given.

Testing Updates
@melindahelt will have updates on testing after WordCamp workshop Saturday.

Virtual Team Summit
No discussion because @bethsoderberg is offline and some think next week might be difficult.

Q&A and Announcements
@jillbinder said there was a small room for Training at WCEU with about 6 people. No information about what work they may have done, will wait for a report from @chanthaboune.

Agenda for June 20, 2017…

Agenda for June 20, 2017 Meeting

The training team will be holding our weekly meeting in the #training channel on Slack today at our regular time: 19:00 UTC. If you can’t be there, please be sure to leave a note in the comments of this post or in Slack and we’ll include your thoughts and/or updates in the meeting!

  1. Welcome!
  2. Lesson Plan Updates
  3. Copyediting Updates
  4. Testing Updates
  5. Virtual Team Summit?
  6. Announcements and Questions

Recap of June 13, 2017 Meeting

Lesson Plan Updates
None given.

Copyediting Updates
@mike_piercy is still working on grammar changes and the navigation order of links.

Testing Updates
melindahelt is still working on the full-day WCKent workshop.

Q&A and Announcements
@bethsoderberg took the temperature on a video chat for 6/27 and a larger virtual summit later in the summer.

melindahelt recommended having two video calls so that folks who are not as “Americas” based time zone might be able to have exposure to the team and then contribute async going forward. She will look into how Community has done it.

melindahelt also noted she is not pinged whenever P2 gets updated unless she’s mentioned in it. A settings change was made and this meeting recap will be a test by not using the @ with melindahelt’s name. Another test is a new email entered by @bethsoderberg.

@bethsoderberg will be looking into it, as well as the images lost from the LPs with the theme switchover.

@bethsoderberg may miss this meeting next week. @juliekuehl will lead it.

@mike_piercy asked about access to theme files, widget and Menu sections in the handbook. @bethsoderberg is bumping up his permissions.