This meeting followed this meeting agenda post. You can see conversations from the meeting in this Slack Log. (If you don’t have a Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. account, you can set one up.)
Introductions and Welcome
There were 18 attendees: @webtechpooja, @sumitsingh, @chetan200891, @krupalpanchal, @lada7042, @sierratr, @margheweb, @newcomer22, @quitevisible, @boogah, @eboxnet ,@onealtr, @nahidsharifkomol, @westnz, @courtneypk, @vanpariyar, @piyopiyofox, @mjaragon03
We’ve had several new people join the channel recently. What is your interest in Learn/Training and what do you enjoy outside of WordPress:@Jorge Boscan, @Safa Abbas Bahar Chowdhury, @atiktonmoy, @Arshadina Umara Najib, @Jhilik, @Asad, @alexcu21, @Taraprasad Swain, @Gael DENYSIAK, @Hilary Baumann, @Mehbub Rashid, @Yash Kukreja, @Mark Sollazzo, @rich, @Ghanshyam Patel, @Maishank
Meeting recap notes are one of the best ways to get started contributing to a team, and you can find details on how to write notes in this handbook page.
Looking for feedback
- New Learn WordPress website designs have been shared. You can find a more detailed view of Learn website on this post: https://make.wordpress.org/design/2023/06/19/design-share-jun-5-jun-16/
- Let’s re-evaluate how we currently host our meetings
- EMEA/AMER meetings Currently seeing low synchronous engagement in the past few months.
- Team members (across the globe) are joining APAC meetings async and providing their feedback.
- Unable to find hosts or co-hosts for EMEA/AMER.
- Pooja is a Test co-lead for the upcoming 6.3 and 6.4 releases, and the Test team meeting falls a the same time, so it would be hard for her to switch back and forth.
- @webtechpooja – My idea is to run 1 Coffee hour for EMEA, 1 Coffee hour for APAC, and 1 Global meeting. What do others think?
- Brainstorm & Table Lead – WordCamp US 2023 Contributor Day There are two months left before WordCamp US 2023 Contributor Day! In preparation for the day, we’d like to invite you to put your name in as a table-co lead and share your ideas of what contributors at the Training Team table can get involved with on that day.
Weekly Roundup on Monday
During meetings, we post weekly published content. So instead of posting during meetings, we can post a weekly Roundup of what happened published on Monday, so we can focus our meetings around what needs to be created, reviewed, or discussed, and in this way, our meetings can be more engaging. We have positive feedback on it.
Looking for volunteers
- Audit and Translate Learn WordPress courses – As part of the Contributor Mentorship Program, we need to review the following course on priority,
- Come join the Training Team as a Translation Coordinator (Faculty role)
Recently joined faculty members as a Translation Coordinator
- Creating guiding documents / advising on accessibility Accessibility (commonly shortened to a11y) refers to the design of products, devices, services, or environments for people with disabilities. The concept of accessible design ensures both “direct access” (i.e. unassisted) and “indirect access” meaning compatibility with a person’s assistive technology (for example, computer screen readers). (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessibility) – Looking for a volunteer, who can work on a handbook page that has an accessibility checklist that can be used by content creators, editors, and meetup All local/regional gatherings that are officially a part of the WordPress world but are not WordCamps are organized through https://www.meetup.com/. A meetup is typically a chance for local WordPress users to get together and share new ideas and seek help from one another. Searching for ‘WordPress’ on meetup.com will help you find options in your area. note-takers.
- Implementing Learning Pathways #1577 – Please indicate interest in the GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ issue
- WordPress Contributor Mentorship Program: Pilot Program Proposal: Each team has been asked to devote at least one team member. Would any Faculty like to volunteer?
- Team Meeting Hosts and Coffee Hour Hosts
- High priority content to translate – We have created this based on past interest and pick. We will update the content list when the Learning Paths have been finalized.
Content published in the last week
Below is some content that is ready for review, if any content reviewers are around, please help us in reviewing and move it to publish state.
No project is active right now.
Other ways to Contribute
Ready to start contributing? Here are a couple of ways to get involved today!
@sierratr reported, some online workshop issues are still open on Github, even after event has been completed. We need to close them.
Pooja shared below links:
- Proposal: Criteria for Removing “Beta Support” from Each PHP 8+ Version – Proposal that aims to establish criteria for when and how PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. version support graduates from “beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process.” to “compatible”.
- What’s new in Gutenberg 16.0? (14 June)
You can see all meetings scheduled on this meeting calendar. If you are new to the Training Team, then come walk through our onboarding program to get to know the team and how we work. And if you have questions, feel free to reach out in the #training Slack channel at any time.