Based on the discussions during the August 24th / 30th Supplemental SME Meeting and recent Monthly Faculty Meeting, folks have requested changes to the GitHub Content Development Board’s issue triaging and management. This proposal offers improvement suggestions to the current GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ processes in order to clarify workflows for Faculty and Training Team Members.
General Workflow suggestions
Outlined below is a workflow that folks would like to try going forward:
- Subject Matter Experts vet topic ideas for accuracy, relevance, and priority
- Vetted topic ideas are then added to the board’s Ready to Create column
- The Training Team selects 5-10 Ready to Create items during the sprint planning meeting and adds the sprint milestone to the selected issues
- A Content Creator (Faculty or Training Team member) picks up a task from the Ready to Create column, moves it to the Drafts in Progress column, and creates the content
- The Subject Matter Expert who vetted the topic or is an expert in the topic provides guidance / mentorship to the Content Creator as the content is being created
- Once the content is in the Reviews in Progress column, an Editor (Faculty or Training Team member) reviews the content
- Content is published!
In order to make the above workflow successful, the following additional updates to the GitHub workflow should be considered:
- Creation of a new project board or utilization of the Discussions GitHub feature to receive new Topic Ideas and vet them ahead of creating GitHub issues for the Content Development project board
- Creation of new labels:
- Needs SME review
- Content Category The 'category' taxonomy lets you group posts / content together that share a common bond. Categories are pre-defined and broad ranging. (Ex. PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php., Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/, Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. Theme)
- Adopt sprint milestones
- Have Faculty Administrators check in on issues in progress
- Create a Topic Idea template
Handbook pages requiring updates
The following handbook pages should be updated with the above proposed changes:
Please comment to share your thoughts on the proposed changes above by Friday September 16th. Once the team is in agreement, we can move to create action items by Monday, September 19th.