Faculty Members held a supplemental Subject Matter Expert call on Wednesday, August 24th at 18:00 UTC for Americas/EMEA and Tuesday, August 30th at 05:00 UTC for APAC to brainstorm and discuss how we can make these processes more clear for folks, and also evaluate which responsibilities SMEs find productive and impactful for their work. You can find our agenda post linked here.
August 24th, 2022: @annezazu @azhiyadev @onealtr @wpscholar
August 30th, 2022: @afshanadiya @bsanevans @piyopiyofox @onealtr @webtechpooja @digitalchild
GitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/
- A lot of the conversation surrounded GitHub and its current organization and use:
- Right now Team Reps are not planning to reduce issues in GitHub topic ideas column, but they are looking to provide more direct priority to certain issues which will go into the sprint those will be provided by SME’s.
- What type of labels do we need?
- For marking what is in the sprint -> milestones would be a good tool for this
- Categorize the content so that it is targeted toward SME’s expertise
- Add a “Needs SME review” label
- Where to store topic ideas?
- The. project board should only contain items that are ready for pick up or are being worked on.
- Perhaps topic ideas can be stored on another GitHub project board and then transferred to the content development board when ready? Is GitHub Discussions a place where we could allow folks to submit ideas?
- Do we need a GitHub organizer team?
Ideal SME workflow
- SME’s vet topic ideas off Github for accuracy and relevance
- Vetted topic ideas are added to GitHub in the Ready to Create column
- A Content Creator picks up a task from the Ready to Create column, moves it to the Drafts in Progress column, and creates the content
- As the content is being created, the SME who vetted the topic or is an expert in the topic provides guidance / mentorship to the Content Creator
- Once the content is in the Reviews in Progress column, an Editor reviews the content