On Tuesday, June 28, 2022 19:00UTC (AMER) and Wednesday, June 29, 2022 05:00UTC (APAC), the Training Team Reps and Faculty Program Members held two calls to discuss the progress of the training team goals and our strategy for meeting them.
Outlined below are the notes taken from these two calls.
AMER call: @pbrocks @ndiego @piyopiyofox @arasae @courtneypk @azhiyadev @annezazu
APAC call: @webtechpooja @bsanevans @psykro @wes
- We discussed the current state of the Training team goals – https://make.wordpress.org/training/2022/01/18/training-team-goals-for-2022/
- When this goals post was created, it had been a year since Learn had been launched when the first meeting around the goals occurred.
- What still needs to be done from Q1?
- Brainstorm and discovery for the creation of a Needs Analysis.
- Learner Survey.
- Plan promotions with the Marketing Team (Currently in the Training Team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts.’s hands).
- Create Instructor/Facilitator resources portion on LearnWP.
- There is a Learning Path document that @courane01 put together. It breaks things down so that a meeting organizer can use this.
- Look into automation for the content creation/review process.
- What needs to be tackled in Q2
- Training Needs Analysis.
- Release roadmap of new content (that isn’t tied to WP releases/features).
- Overhaul the “Submit an Idea” form. Build in conditional logic for workshop, lesson plan, and course.
- It was noted that we’d like for SME’s to set the priorities for the content we seek to create and telling us when it should be created.
- We learned that folks tend to have a pretty solid idea before the Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. period of what features are going to make it into the release, so we can use this knowledge for timing content releases.
- Faculty Program Structure & Vision
- Knowing when SME’s need to chime in would be great– can we have an alert world? It can be tough to know when to engage.
- Having a buddy system / mentor program would be great.
- Open Discussion
- Nick has found them to be a very interesting way to engage with the community, and would love to see it grow into a more important part of Learn.
- Tying SLSes to topical things can make SLSes a vehicle for learning WordPress more intuitively.
- Let’s put effort into spreading SLS sessions into APAC and other timezones
- Folks in APAC may need to continue hosting these even with minimal attendance to grow the attendance, and then the contributors will come.
- Let’s run SLSs about running SLSs.
- Contributing to the technical needs of Learn WordPress
- The way Learn WordPress is currently set up requires developers to cross a few hurdles before they can actually contribute to the issues we’ve listed.
- It would be great if we can find a way to set developers up with the necessary tools, so that they can more easily contribute to those technical issues
- Can we streamline https://make.wordpress.org/training/ so that it isn’t as intimidating for new folk?
- We already have some conversations going on about what we can do about this.
- Reality is, we are limited somewhat by the structure of Make itself. Meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team is working on that.
- What we could do is collect feedback, and send that to Meta to help with their work.
Listed below are action items created from our discussion and their assignments
- Create a spreadsheet with release tab organization for this board https://github.com/WordPress/Learn/projects/2 for SMEs to go through and help prioritize / @piyopiyofox
- Check if our current lesson plan / workshop creation handbook includes a step to include a “timestamp + WordPress version”.
- Create template slides for SLSes / @piyopiyofox
- Create alert words for SMEs, Content Creators, Editors, Administrators, and then the full faculty / @courtneypk
- Provide information about critical features that require content for 6.1 / @annezazu
- Draft a proposal for creating a Faculty Program Mentor/Mentee program / @arasae
- Set up time for next monthly call / @piyopiyofox