Slack Log for EMEA/Americas Meeting (Tuesday, February 22, 2022)
Slack Log for APAC Meeting (Thursday, February 24, 2022)
(Logs require a Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account.)
The agenda for both meetings can be found here.
Introductions and Welcome
Attendance EMEA/Americas Meeting: @azhiyadev, @courane01, @webtechpooja, @ndiego, @gudrun, @boogah, @aurooba, @sumitsingh, and @arasae
Attendance APAC Meeting: @chaion07, @webtechpooja, @azhiyadev, @meher, @onealtr, and @bestony
Welcoming the newcomers joining the Training team in the last week (Slack usernames): @Destiny, @Adi Cahyaludin, @ren, @Kajal Gohel, and @Sumit Singh
Meeting Note Takers
We are looking for team members interested in taking notes on the following dates:
- March 1 – Volunteer needed
- March 8 – Volunteer needed
- March 15 – Volunteer needed
- March 22 – Volunteer needed
Training is very new to participating in having content ready at release. As we continue to improve our processes, we will continue to work on having as much content ready at release. Key dates to note:
- March 29, 2022, is a feature freeze. This is the point at which we can begin assessing everything that would need to be revised or created related to 6.0.
- April 12, 2022, is tentatively Beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. 1 – This is the point where we can begin creating the text of new content
- May 3, 2022, is tentatively Release Candidate A beta version of software with the potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge. 1 – This is the point where we can safely take screenshots and videos.
- May 24, 2022, is tentatively 6.0 release day
The Training team agreed to try and align with these dates. Discussion about what content is needed for the 6.0 release will begin when we hit feature freeze.
@courane01 would also like to open up a training session around feature freeze inviting contributors from #docs , #marketing , and #training to discover what will go into the release. There was consensus within the meeting attendees that such a session would be of interest.
Translating Content on LearnWP
@dd32 is still working on temporary solutions, knowing that GlotPress will be quite ways out yet. We’d really like to get some input from Hugh Lashbrooke around possible solutions in the interim.
Enhancing Content on LearnWP
There is a discussion around using categories on LearnWP, as we do for workshops. But we really need to think about the Courses landing page, and how it could be improved.
@gudrun mentioned that there isn’t a great overview of current lesson plans. @courane01 pointed out a page she made recently called Pathways to Learn WordPress. This page is not yet directly accessible from the LeanWP navigation menu A theme feature introduced with Version 3.0. WordPress includes an easy to use mechanism for giving various control options to get users to click from one place to another on a site. and the design of the page still needs work. @courane01 is going to continue working on this.
We are still awaiting info from Hugh Lashbrooke regarding next steps to launch this. In short, it’d be a team of folks that help review the content, priorities, and other reviewing types of things. If you have not provided a comment on the proposal post yet, please do as we are eager to continue rolling this program out.
Daylight savings time is coming up. The Americas change on March 13 and most of Europe changes on March 27.
For the EMEA/Americas Meeting, the team agreed to shift the meetings with the time change on March 27. This includes the office and coffee hours. This means that for those in the Americas, there will be two weeks between March 13 and March 27 where the meetings are at an odd time. Over the next few weeks we will remind folks of the change.
For the APAC meeting, since many participants are in India, which doesn’t have a daylight saving change, that meeting will remain at the same UTC.
News From Around WordPress
February 2022 Progress
Lesson Plans Published this Week
- Using Page Templates thanks @west7 reviewed by @courane01 and @azhiyadev
- Building A Sitemap For A Site thanks @azhiyadev reviewed by @aurooba and @webtechpooja
Workshops Published this Week
- Building Sidebars With the Site Editor thanks @arasaere viewed by @courane01
Help Needed – Content Ready for Review
- Introduction to CSS submitted by @hilayt24 (@gudrun offered to review)
- Managing Settings: Permalinks submitted by @west7
- What did you commit to last week?
- What did you do?
- Any blockers?
- What will you do next week?
- Wrote last weeks meeting notes
- Write this weeks meeting notes
- I committed to Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing. -> Github GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ migration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies.
- I am finding a way to migrate it automatically, hope soon find a way.
- I Will continuing work on migration process and reviewing lesson plan.
- No commitments last week.
Building a Sitemap for a Site lesson
- Trello > GitHub migration
- Recruited some help to investigate Trello > GitHub, started a draft of everything published on LearnWP for make.wordpress.org/updates to share with Forums/support, Marketing, and Community teams
- I had very limited capacity last week.
- Trello > Github is my highest priority, followed by needs analysis.
- Worked on gathering learn content that is available in German.
- Sitemap lesson plan and Trello-GitHub migration.
- Sitemap lesson plan. I looked into the Trello-GitHub migration now to figure out how to identify the column ids, in GitHub
- No blockers
- I will work on How to set site icons and logo (without a customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings.)
- Sidebars Workshop + LP
- I keep getting stuck on LPs. I always make a frame before a workshop, but my brain wants me to extend the LP beyond it, which im not sure is necessary. Just my own mental blocks I suppose. 🙂
- I will finish child themes part 1 LP, ready for review next week. Will probably look also at making a simple workshop for it and more theme.Json development.
Upcoming Social Learning Spaces
- Honey, I Broke My Website! What To Do When Site Editing Goes Wrong
- Beginner’s Guide To Full Site Editing
- Templates And Template Parts
Next week we will carry out a Retrospective of the February Sprint as well as a plan for March. If you are working on something that is not currently on the Sprint please be sure to add it.
You are welcome to join the team at any time! If you are new to the Training Team, please introduce yourself in the #training channel before the meeting (or anytime!) and feel free to join us in the meeting and participate as you are able.
Training Team Mission
The WordPress training team helps people learn to use, extend, and contribute to WordPress through synchronous and asynchronous learning as well as downloadable lesson plans for instructors to use in live environments, via learn.wordpress.org.
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects.
- Getting Involved: https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/getting-started/
- About The Team: https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/about/
- Our Team Blog: https://make.wordpress.org/training/
- Our Content Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/BsfzszRM/wordpress-training-team-lesson-plan-development
- What We Are Currently Working On This Month: https://make.wordpress.org/training/category/sprint/
- Learn WordPress Roadmap: https://trello.com/b/rK1tztAA/learn-wordpress
- Learn WordPress Issues Log: https://github.com/WordPress/learn
- Our Lesson Plans: https://learn.wordpress.org/lesson-plans/
- Our YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxqNA0WORZXWurEP6cNV6w
- Learn Website: https://learn.wordpress.org/