Slack Log (Requires Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. login to view. Set one up if you don’t have a Slack account.)
The agenda for the meeting can be found here
Introductions and Welcome
Welcome to our Training Slack channel, @Sweety and @Djordje Djokic.
In attendance: @daniyalahmedk, @azhiyadev, @courane01, @webtechpooja, @arasae, @peteringersoll
- The training team is growing! We are looking to fill a few more team roles, which can be found here. Specifically, wrangling and support flow – ideally, we would like volunteers to help answer questions from new contributors. This includes…
- Handling form submissions from the Training Team’s website – We would like help getting all submissions, such as user names, emails, etc. connected to Training team as editors, Learn as needed for user accts, added to Trello Project management system using the concepts of boards and cards to organize tasks in a sane way. This is what the make.wordpress.com/marketing team uses for example: https://trello.com/b/8UGHVBu8/wp-marketing., etc.
- Helping new contributors during our team meetings
- Leading new member meetings
- Please see the team role link above for more details.
- The Training Team was invited to WPwatercooler last Friday regarding LearnWP: https://www.wpwatercooler.com/devbranch/ep14-developing-wordpress-developers/
- Badges for Courses: Please continue to share and provide comments if you haven’t had a chance yet. The proposal is to enable learners to demonstrate what they have learned on Learn. We’d love to get feedback from employers who may look at .org profiles when considering employment.
- We are awaiting confirmation on the WCUS Speaker Application; more info to come.
- Translation Days – Like captioning, translating captions is also beneficial for global WordPress users. Training will host at least 1 subtitling session working session for LearnWP in the last half of September in conjunction with #polyglots Translator Day. We will open up with Sept 29 at 10:00 UTC but may have additional times – the training team has also had a few other inquiries for some Five for the Future organizations interested in also helping subtitle.
The following lesson plans need a description, goals, SEO review and research on docs. If you want to work on it, add yourself as a Member on the card and as the Current Owner. If you need any help, please ask in the Slack #training channel.
- Using Global Styles & Settings
- How to use the Query Loop
- Intro to the Block Editor
- Frequently Used Blocks
Lesson Plans in need of a contributor to draft them. If you want to work on it, add yourself as a Member on the card and as the Current Owner. Then move the card to the Drafts in Progress list in Trello:
- Site Backup
- Migrate, Copy, or Clone a Site
- Introduction to Gutenberg
- Some lesson plans were on hold, pending Brand Guidelines. These guidelines are now finalized, leaving us with 30-50 plans that can be published. The training team is still defining the process for this; they require a small audit and then can be published again.
- The rough draft of the “Introduction to WordPress” course @arasae is working on is nearly complete and awaiting some short videos.
- @courane01 has begun work on a course for the Training Team’s new contributors.
- @azhiyadev has updated the Sprint, agenda, and meeting reusable blocks
- @webtechpooja worked on a WPTranslation day with the polyglots team Polyglots Team is a group of multilingual translators who work on translating plugins, themes, documentation, and front-facing marketing copy. https://make.wordpress.org/polyglots/teams/.
- A thought: “Complete WordPress Theme & Plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party Development Course” may be a very useful course – how soon could we do this? It would benefit a lot of people.
- @courane01 has a breakdown of what the topics in a course like this might be here.
- The Training Team’s goal is to create an onboarding course to help new contributors get started more quickly; once we have more voices, this work should be much easier to complete.
- @webtechpooja has expressed interest in developing an advanced plugin development course.
- What pre-requisites would be needed for a course like this? How much PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php./JS, etc. does one need before beginning? Do they need to know template hierarchy, some theme dev already?
- @arasae has volunteered to collaborate with future course designers/content experts to plan learning objectives and activities for more advanced courses.
- Question: Has there been more thought as to naming conventions / hierarchy? We have courses, workshops, and lesson plans. Do they roll up into tracks, topics, or areas of study? Or are courses made of classes? Just curious how applying conventional education terms can apply to #training.
- We need to define this, but it will depend on the feedback from the UX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. audit.
You are welcome to join the team at any time! If you are new to the Training Team, please introduce yourself in the #training channel before the meeting (or anytime!) and feel free to join us in the meeting and participate as you are able.
Training Team Mission
The WordPress training team helps people learn to use, extend, and contribute to WordPress through synchronous and asynchronous learning as well as downloadable lesson plans for instructors to use in live environments, via learn.wordpress.org.
Everyone is welcome and encouraged to join in, comment on posts, and participate in meetings and on projects.
- Getting Involved:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/getting-started/
- About The Team:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/handbook/about/
- Our Team Blog:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/
- Our Content Roadmap:- https://trello.com/b/BsfzszRM/wordpress-training-team-lesson-plan-development
- What We Are Currently Working On This Month:- https://make.wordpress.org/training/category/sprint/
- Learn WordPress Roadmap:- https://trello.com/b/rK1tztAA/learn-wordpress
- Learn WordPress Issues Log:- https://github.com/WordPress/learn
- Our Lesson Plans:- https://learn.wordpress.org/lesson-plans/
- Our YouTube Channel:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnxqNA0WORZXWurEP6cNV6w
- Learn Website:- https://learn.wordpress.org/