Tide Chat Agenda: August 14th

This is the agenda for the weekly Tide meeting on August 14, 2018 at 20:00 UTC:

  • 1.0.0 planning
  • Theme and plugin rulesets
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#agenda, #tide-chat

Tide Chat Summary: June 26th

This post summarizes the Tide chat meeting from June 26th in the #tide Slack channel (agenda, Slack archive).

Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHP Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.org. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.

WCEU recap

  • Contributor Day had WiFi issues for the first half of the afternoon so setting up Tide locally was a bit harder for folks than it should have been
  • Contributors mostly discussed what Tide is and the GCP setup and capacity over AWS
  • There we a couple PR’s that came out of Contributor Day
  • @grapplerulrich did a great job leading the team while @valendesigns had focus split getting the final GCP issues ironed out

GCP migration & .ORG integration

  • The migration to GCP is for the most part complete. Now that we’re in v1.0.0-beta we only have a couple of issues to fix.
  • There are docs that need to be tested and updated, a duplicate audits issue where Firestore is not locking the message quick enough and other kubernetes pods are running the same audits more than once (not on every item but enough to be an issue), and the endpoint for .ORG that allows a push instead of pull architecture (this code is written but @valendesigns need to test and merge).
  • Seeing a lot more capacity over AWS, maybe 8-10 times more. We were doing at peak around 1.3-1.8k an hour on AWS and on GCP we were doing 12-13.4k an hour.
  • When all of the issues mentioned above are sorted we will release v1.0.0 and plan to do a few RC’s until they are addressed
  • @jeffpaul to open issue for item that @grappIerulrich found that is not working, if anyone else runs into issues, please open issues in GitHub

Theme and plugin rulesets

  • This was discussed some at WCEU, but the idea is to create a ruleset for auditing WordPress themes and another for WordPress plugins. The complete WPCS ruleset isn’t quite the best approach for plugins and themes individually, so we’re considering creating a ruleset specific to each.
  • @grapplerulrich looking to run the subsets instead of the whole `WordPress` ruleset? These would be `WordPress-Core`, `WordPress-Docs` and `WordPress-Extra`. This would give us more fine tuned results and exclude `WordPress-VIP`. If we make the change now then we will have a few plugin version to be able to understand the trend.
  • We had a conversation with roughly 10 or so contributors on Saturday and the work @jrf has done could be used as the base for targeting plugins/themes. It’s going to need a lot of discussion but some of the heavy technical lifting has already been done.
  • We’ll likely look to open upstream issues with WPCS to further the discussion on this topic, we’ll share those issue links here once they’re created.

General announcements

  • In order to accommodate a wider audience, we’ll be moving the Tidechat one hour earlier starting next week, so we’ll now meet weekly at 20:00 UTC.

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on July 3, 2018 at 20:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#1-0-0, #gcp, #summary, #tide-chat, #wceu

Tide Chat Agenda: June 26th

This is the agenda for the weekly Tide meeting on June 26, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • WCEU recap
  • GCP migration
  • .ORG integration
  • Theme and plugin rulesets
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#agenda, #tide-chat

CANCELLED – Tide Chat: June 19th

This week’s Tide meeting is cancelled due to travels home from WCEU. If you have something to add to next week’s agenda, then please leave a comment below. See you next week!

#tide-chat

CANCELLED – Tide Chat: June 12th

This week’s Tide meeting is cancelled due to travel to WCEU. If you have something to add to next week’s agenda, then please leave a comment below. See you next week!

#tide-chat

Tide Chat Summary: June 5th

This post summarizes the Tide chat meeting from June 5th in the #tide Slack channel (agenda, Slack archive).

Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHP Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.org. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.

GCP migration

  • Completed the initial standup of Tide on GCP in a Dev account and tested all services are working, though we have found some minor bugs that we’re currently addressing
  • Working to fix the minor bugs and setup Tide on the new Prod account the next couple of days and start the re-audit of all themes and plugins by the end of the week
  • Next week we’ll be setting up DNS to transfer from the AWS to the GCP version of Tide, we’ll then be at Tide 1.0.0-beta and ready to find all the bugs and test the new API
  • Current issue is the local MongoDB is not connecting to the Go services correctly and we’re working on a fix
  • The new repo is an all-in-one Tide repo for development and deployment, can be installed locally, and will be released as soon as the Mongo issue is fixed
  • Tide will be available by WCEU, and can be demonstrated at contributor day on Thursday, June 14th
  • After WCEU we’ll work to create a few candidate releases until we feel Tide is stable and ready to be tagged 1.0.0

.ORG integration

  • @jeffpaul and @valendesigns to chat with @otto42 on the webhook integration of Tide’s PHP Compatibility results into .ORG
  • Identifying any changes needed to the input to, processing of, or output from Tide as it relates to .ORG so we know what gaps need to be closed in order to support a .ORG integration. Updates to follow as we’re able to meet with @otto42, but that will likely be after WCEU.
  • In the meantime, review and feedback on the proposed UX for the integration would continue to be welcomed
  • Integration will provide a list of compatible versions, could be used to allow of disallow plugin activation per note from @joyously

General announcements

  • With folks traveling next week to WCEU, we’ll cancel the weekly tidechat and catch up the following week

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on June 19, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / June 19, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#gcp, #php-compatibility, #summary, #tide-chat

Tide Chat Agenda: June 5th

This is the agenda for the weekly Tide meeting on June 5, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / June 5, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • GCP migration
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#agenda, #tide-chat

Tide Chat Summary: May 29th

This post summarizes the Tide chat meeting from May 29th in the #tide Slack channel (agenda, Slack archive).

Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHP Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.org. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.

Roadmap wishlist

  • Met previously with folks from Theme Review, coordinating to meet with Plugin Review folks after WCEU on how Tide might best help them
  • If you have roadmap wishlist ideas, then please leave them as a comment on this post, ping @jeffpaul directly, comment in the #tide channel, or add your input as an issue in the `tide-issues` repo and we’ll capture them as we work towards publishing a potential roadmap for Tide

GCP migration

  • Working to migrate to GCP and finishing the Queue and Storage providers for GCP this week; Cloud Storage is finished and Cloud Firestore is WIP; implementing local only providers also
  • Testing the services on GCP this week, depending on how the code review and testing of the Firestore implementation goes
  • By the end of the week we should have a local MongoDB queue provider and be feature complete and ready to clean up the repo, test all services E2E on GCP, and release the new version to the wptide org in GitHub
  • Local setup with be Docker containers, one for each service (API, PHPCS Server, Lighthouse Server, and Sync Server)
  • Assumption that being able to run Tide 100% locally should help make setting it up more appealing to contributors
  • Also adding coverage to the wp-tide-api plugin to ensure it’s solid and ready for the next release
  • Goal by next tidechat is to be ready to have people test the new local setup of Tide and smooth out any issues in regards to needing a cloud provider (AWS or GCP)

WCEU + Contributor Day

  • @valendesigns @jrf @grapplerulrich @nikolam will all be at WCEU and Contributor Day
  • Anyone else who attends should consider stopping by Contributor Day as the Tide and WPCS tables should be next to each other and worth discussing and collaborating then

General announcements

Next meeting

The next meeting will take place on June 5, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / June 5, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.

#contributor-day, #gcp, #roadmap, #summary, #tide-chat, #wceu

Tide Chat Agenda: May 29th

This is the agenda for the weekly Tide meeting on May 29, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / May 29, 2018 at 21:00 UTC:

  • Roadmap wishlist
  • GCP migration
  • General announcements

If you have anything to propose to add to the agenda or specific items related to the above, please leave a comment below. See you there!

#agenda, #tide-chat

CANCELLED – Tide Chat: May 22nd

This week’s Tide meeting is cancelled due to conflicting meetings. If you have roadmap wishlist items or something to add to next week’s agenda, then please leave a comment below. See you next week!

#tide-chat