Tide Chat Summary: October 27th
This post summarizes the 30-minute Tide status update and open floor discussion from October 27th in the #tide SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel (agenda, Slack archive).
Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.
- @ivankk prototyping solution and simpler APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. definition using OpenAPI spec v3, aiming for update in next couple of weeks
- Goal is to switch from Golang to JS to make it easier to contribute to and more approachable for the community
- Plans to integrate with PHP Compat Checker plugin as the main consumer of the API
- Discussion on migrating data from current schema to new, decided easier to just re-audit on new Node.js platform so data matches schema but can keep Golang schema and data around for visualizations if desired
- Will eventually need to create a new Sync Server and decide how much data to initialize into the new system
The next meeting, a 2-hour active working session, will take place on November 10, 2020 at 18:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.