This post summarizes the Tide chat meeting from June 5th in the #tide SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel (agenda, Slack archive).
Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.
GCP migrationMigration Moving the code, database and media files for a website site from one server to another. Most typically done when changing hosting companies.
- Completed the initial standup of Tide on GCP in a Dev account and tested all services are working, though we have found some minor bugs that we’re currently addressing
- Working to fix the minor bugs and setup Tide on the new Prod account the next couple of days and start the re-audit of all themes and plugins by the end of the week
- Next week we’ll be setting up DNSDNS DNS is an acronym for Domain Name System - how you assign a human readable address to a website’s exact numeric coded location (ie. wordpress.org uses the actual IP address 184.108.40.206). to transfer from the AWS to the GCP version of Tide, we’ll then be at Tide 1.0.0-betaBeta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. and ready to find all the bugs and test the new APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways.
- Current issue is the local MongoDB is not connecting to the Go services correctly and we’re working on a fix
- The new repo is an all-in-one Tide repo for development and deployment, can be installed locally, and will be released as soon as the Mongo issue is fixed
- Tide will be available by WCEU, and can be demonstrated at contributor dayContributor Day Contributor Days are standalone days, frequently held before or after WordCamps but they can also happen at any time. They are events where people get together to work on various areas of https://make.wordpress.org/ There are many teams that people can participate in, each with a different focus. https://2017.us.wordcamp.org/contributor-day/ https://make.wordpress.org/support/handbook/getting-started/getting-started-at-a-contributor-day/. on Thursday, June 14th
- After WCEU we’ll work to create a few candidate releases until we feel Tide is stable and ready to be tagged 1.0.0
- @jeffpaul and @valendesigns to chat with @otto42 on the webhook integration of Tide’s PHP Compatibility results into .ORG
- Identifying any changes needed to the input to, processing of, or output from Tide as it relates to .ORG so we know what gaps need to be closed in order to support a .ORG integration. Updates to follow as we’re able to meet with @otto42, but that will likely be after WCEU.
- In the meantime, review and feedback on the proposed UX for the integration would continue to be welcomed
- Integration will provide a list of compatible versions, could be used to allow of disallow pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party activation per note from @joyously
- With folks traveling next week to WCEU, we’ll cancel the weekly tidechat and catch up the following week
The next meeting will take place on June 19, 2018 at 21:00 UTC / June 19, 2018 at 21:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.