This post summarizes the Tide chat meeting from January 23rd in the #tide SlackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel (agenda, Slack archive).
Reminder that the current Tide focus is integrating PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Compatibility data from Tide into WordPress.orgWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/. Once PHP Compatibility is integrated into WordPress.org, we’ll assess the next focus to provide the biggest impact to the community.
Feedback on code reviews
- Continuing to look for feedback on Tide repos or existing plugin and theme audit results (focused specifically on PHP Compatibility)
- @valendesigns noted it can be tested locally but you need AWS resources to do it (i.e., an SQS queue and an S3 bucket), AWS comes with a free trial to test it out
- @danlouw looking into way to mock SQS for testing, to try to have something for next week's chat and add to one of the README's
- The audit server was a proof of concept and intent is to rebuild it with Go, which could include mocked testing, but adding it to the current implementation is unlikely
- Best to document improvements desired as Issues filed to respective GitHubGitHub GitHub is a website that offers online implementation of git repositories that can can easily be shared, copied and modified by other developers. Public repositories are free to host, private repositories require a paid subscription. GitHub introduced the concept of the ‘pull request’ where code changes done in branches by contributors can be reviewed and discussed before being merged be the repository owner. https://github.com/ repo, and if uncertain which to choose just use tide-issues
UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. of PHP compat integration into WP.org
- @joshuawold added two more mockups into the issue, will look to add a mockup showing a theme page and simplify listing of errors/warnings
- Plan to assemble mockups and look to #meta for feedback or confirm approach
- AWS Infrastructure Diagram provided by @valendesigns
- Recommendation to host documentation as markdown files on GitHub, once integrated they can move to Devhub
The next meeting will take place on January 30, 2018 at 22:00 UTC / January 30, 2018 at 22:00 UTC in the #tide Slack channel. Please feel free to drop in with any updates or questions. If you have items to discuss but cannot make the meeting, please leave a comment on this post so that we can take them into account.