July Meeting Agenda

The Theme Review Team holds a monthly meeting with an agenda and we encourage all members to attend.

Channel: #themereview | Time: Tuesday at 17:00 UTC 17:00 UTC

Topics to discuss

Community Behaviour / Code of Conduct

Proposal: WordPress Community Conduct Project

Name collisions

Currently the WordPress.org Theme Updates API only uses the theme slug to check for updates. This can cause conflicts if a theme outside of WordPress.org repo has the same theme slug. The two main issues are:

  1. Name collisions are bad for end users if they update to different theme.
  2. The number of active installs have an affect on the position of theme on the popular page.

In the past we have decided not to police theme names other than “WordPress” and “Theme” which have been added as checks to the upload process.

The root cause for this issue is that the WordPress.org Themes API only checks the theme slug when checking for updates or tracking number of installs. The Core Ticket for this is #14179-core. The core track ticket has been opened a number of years ago and it is not going to be fixed unless we get buy in from the core and meta teams.

There are a few short term solutions that we can implement but they require support from the meta team. The meta ticket for this is #2114-meta. These solutions are

  • Change the algorithm of the popular page so that it is not so heavily dependant on number of installs.
  • Deduct the initial number of active installs from the current active installs. This does not help if two themes are gaining new users together.
  • When measuring the number of active installs compare the author field. The number of installs may be slightly off for themes that have been transferred from one author to another but these numbers should be minimal as they would be only users running older versions of the theme.

The solution that we can implement as of now is: If any theme name has any more than 500 active installs then that theme would need to be renamed.

  1. This would not retroactively apply to existing live themes. Removing the themes would affect the users which we do not want. The short term solutions will fix this for the existing themes.
  2. This wouldn’t apply in those cases where the theme author has had the theme released for a while and a quick Google search doesn’t pull up alternatives.

Monthly meeting with meta team

Currently there are 44 open meta tickets for the components “Theme Directory” and “Theme Review”

By having a monthly meeting we can track the progress of these tickets and define which ticket should be prioritized.

Discussions on improvements outside the meetings

There have been a number of discussions in the Slack #themereview channel which have lead to turning in circles. Unless there is a meeting these discussion will not go anywhere. If there is a topic to discuss please mention it for the next meeting.

The Theme Review process is not perfect. Here are a list of projects in addition to the meta tickets mentioned about that are known but have not had anyone to lead them.

The structure for solving the problems that we would like to try is

  • In the meetings we can discuss if it is this a problem that needs to be addressed (regardless of the team that addresses it)?
  • If yes then we collect proposals for addressing it.
  • The we decide which one of these proposals should we pursue?” and then commit to pursuing the winning proposal

Mentoring

@thinkupthemes has created a list on the mentor’s availability.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ClUWZoNIIqKYmdgb08QRNWUmgebhxM-f3mm-9FqC6Kw/edit#gid=0

#14179-core, #2114-meta

Agenda for 2017 April 18

The Theme Review Team holds a meeting weekly and we encourage all members to attend.

Channel: #themereview | Time: Tuesday at 17:00 UTC 17:00 UTC

Recap:

Topics:

This week we want to start defining specific items that we want to prioritise so that we can get back to Matt with an update since out last chat.

  • Prepare a post comparing the theme and plugin review process to see how we can work towards a goal of making both processes very similar so that any improvements made to one will also profit the other. Responsible: @grapplerulrich
  • Put a team together to tackle the theme previews as this is a major issue. Get Matt to put resources towards this.
  • Automation is still a priority to catch common issues and giving us more confidence that themes cannot be shipped that give sites a white screen of death.
  • Define the minimum requirements that need to be manually reviewed for the themes to be hosted on w.org. The basic items I could think of are checking for licencing, anything illegal, dishonest, or morally offensive.
  • Agreeing to try out a way to get more feedback from users on different aspects of themes and using the extra data on the theme to rank them appropriately in the repository.

Once we are agree on these items we can get back to Matt and discuss the next steps.

 

If you have any topics, then please reply to this post and include the topic, along with a brief description of what you would like to discuss.

Requirements project March 23

Our next project meeting will be on Thursday at 19:00

Channel: #themereview

We have a few more short term fixes to discuss:

  • Child theme names
  • Theme URI and  footer credit links
  • Admin bar menu items
  • Screenshot

There is also one recommendation that perhaps should be removed:
Themes may optionally unregister core Widgets. This is allowed, but is it recommended?

As a reminder, we also have the Trello board.

 

Those who have time after the meeting are welcome to continue,  with the purpose of defining what a “Letting users decide” approach would be for the team. We need to define it before we can continue any productive discussion on the topic.

 

Child themes should not include the name of the parent theme.

Suggestion: Child themes may only use the parent theme name if both themes are made by the same author.

Suggestion 2: Remove it (again).

If the theme adds a footer credit link, there should only be one (link to WordPress.org does not count).

Suggestion: There can only be a single footer credit link, which is either the the Theme URI or Author URI (link to WordPress.org does not count).

Theme URI:

Using WordPress.org as theme URI is reserved for official themes.

This was brought up on slack this weekend:
“The purpose of the Theme URI is to point the user to a page specifically about the theme that we are hosting here on WordPress.org. That means that the majority of the info on that page should about the theme that we’re hosting.”
“Theme URI needs to be a) under a domain you control, not “wordpress.org”, and b) unique to the theme. Not unique to the theme and version number or anything else, just unique to the theme. ”

Themes are not allowed to add a menu item to the WordPress admin bar.

I believe this is used in practice but it is not currently listed on the requirement page. Is this something that we want to add or is it something that we would consider allowing?

The screenshot should be of the actual theme as it appears with default options, not a logo or mockup.

Suggestion: The screenshot should be of the theme, not a logo or mockup. The screenshot may optionally show plugins, settings and templates. The user should be able to make the theme look like the screenshot.

Agenda for 2017 March 7

The Theme Review Team holds a meeting weekly and we encourage all members to attend.

Channel: #themereview | Time: Tuesday at 18:00 UTC 18:00 UTC

Topics:

This week we do not have any topics so it will be more of an informal meeting this week.

Community Summit 2017

I have posted a comment the Community Summit post with the list of topics and list of people who could attend. If there is someone who thinks they could attend let me know and I will have a look to see if we can them too.

If you have any topics, then please reply to this post and include the topic, along with a brief description of what you would like to discuss.

Agenda for 2017 February 28

The Theme Review Team holds a meeting weekly and we encourage all members to attend.

Channel: #themereview | Time: Tuesday at 18:00 UTC 18:00 UTC

Topics:

Team Representatives

Matt has asked us to choose three representatives from the Theme Review Team to meet with him to discuss the future of the theme directory. He wants to make sure the tech changes for the plugin / theme directories are in line with what the moderation plans are.

We would like to suggest that @greenshady, @poena and @grapplerulrich would be the three representatives.

Let us know if there are any objections.

Community Summit 2017

In the last meeting we started to discuss topics for the community summit. A list of topics can be found below. The list of topics may change as we get nearer to the event.

  • How we improve the leadership of the TRT team? For example the forums team has one or two team reps and then moderators who have access to further moderations tools.
  • How can we encourage and enable more people to lead new projects?
  • What is the vision and goals of the team?
  • What is the future of the theme review team, can we change it to become the Theme Team and be more involved in theme related activities like improving the theme directory or the theme developers handbook?
  • A set of good slides on the introduction to theme reviewing that can be used for contributor days
  • Improving the documentation so that it is clearer and easier to understand
  • Work on improving the theme author and reviewer experience by analysing the whole theme review process.
  • Improving the review process and focus on quality and good codes
  • How we can encourage creative designs and how to stop more of copy themes which can just be child theme.
  • Future of the theme review theme and making it smoother and faster

Now the question is who should/can attend the community summit. Please post in the comments below if you can and would like to attend to the community summit. Not everyone can attend because of the size limit of the venue.

Current Projects

If you have any topics, then please reply to this post and include the topic, along with a brief description of what you would like to discuss.