This is the 75th weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/. Here are some highlights from the last week:
Update Color Picker UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing.
The existing UI for selecting a color can become unwieldy due to multiple duplicated color palettes being stacked. #37067 updates the color picker to improve this situation.
Alternative approach to global padding
The discussion to add a global padding to your site, that still allows some items to be full-width, is on-going. The current idea for solving this is here, and there are some issues / drawbacks with the approach that will take more consideration.
Most theme supports can be now set in theme.json. There is an issue to allow
wp-block-styles to also be opted into via theme.json: #37255
Global link styles override block’s link styles
#37262 reported an issue about the behavior of global link styles, with styles of block’s that contain links (e.g. the Post Title, Post Date, Post Categories). The global link styles are currently always taking precedence over the theme.json and block styles.
- Default Theme (Twenty Twenty Two): Overview of Gutenberg issues: #75
- GS: The Global Styles Interface #34574
- FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks.: Post Comments Loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. Block: Tracking issue #34994
- FSE: Site Editing block placeholders #35501
- FSE: Templates list screen overview #36597
- DT: Typography Tools: Tracking defaults for blocks #35604
- Tracking: ToolsPanel Follow Ups #36165
Thanks @pbking for helping to compile this week’s update. Please comment if there’s something you’d like to highlight!
DT: Design Tools
FSE: Full Site Editing
GS: Global Styles