Facilitated by @kjellr
Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ + Themes Highlights
- Gutenberg 9.5 was released: https://make.wordpress.org/core/2020/12/02/whats-new-in-gutenberg-2-december/
- The query block now has a grid view, enabling a lot of new possibilities: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/pull/27067
Twenty Twenty-One (TT1) Blocks
Development for TT1 Blocks is on-going here: https://github.com/WordPress/theme-experiments/tree/master/twentytwentyone-blocks
- Recent development activity is focused around this issue: https://github.com/WordPress/theme-experiments/issues/82
- Much of the work has resulted upstream Gutenberg issue reports and fixes, which is excellent.
- emptytheme was merged to theme experiments. It’s a blank slate for building block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based themes. The repo also now comes with a script to generate your own boilerplate.
- A new block-based theme by @frank-klein was added to the themes directory: https://wordpress.org/themes/block-based-bosco/
- @poena + the theme review team are working on the steps needed to accept FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. themes into the themes directory.
- Currently, you have to submit a theme that passes theme check to create a trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. ticket + add the theme to svn, then the moderators have to update it in the admin to allow the submission of a FSE theme.)
- Perhaps this can be a good opportunity to improve the trac + svn based submission process.
Thanks to everyone for joining! Please leave a comment if you have anything to add that is block-based theme related!