Hello! This is the 23rd weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
In case you missed it last week, be sure to check out this post about the near-term forecast for block-based theme functionality.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Discussion about the “Theme Styles” writing option in the “Preferences” section. 26037
- Color presets sometimes display differently between editor and frontend. 25889
- Add border radius control to the search block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.. 25791
- Load only styles for existing blocks on the front end. 25742
- Suggestion that FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. template parts should not use text domain to detect the active theme. 25856
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Discussion about multi-column layouts in query blocks. 25462
- PR adding font family option to Global Styles. 24868
- PR adding font-weight option to Global Styles. 24978
- Columns Block: Add single column option. 24065
- Add wide and full options to the Heading block. 25917
- Full Site Editing Milestones. 24551
- Template Tags in Full Site Editing. 22724
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
- Missing query block functionality. 24934
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, @joen, and @scruffian for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!