Hello! This is the 20th weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Discussion: Is it okay to change the pullquote block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.’s default colors at this point? 25358
- Add a margin declaration to the Gallery block. 25291
- Allow arbitrary widths for columns. 24711
- Template part has a double wrapper. 25610
- Discussing template handling on theme switches. 25071
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Discussion about multi-column layouts in query blocks. 25462
- Discuss how to allow the query block to inherit the global query. 25377
- Consider not adding a self-link to the site-title block on the homepage. 25307
- Missing query block functionality. 24934
- Allow using featured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts. as background for the Group block. 24660
- The image from the site logo block can not be removed from the customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings.. 25173
- Discussion about having a variety of color palettes. 25613
- Theme.json support for child themes. 25612
- PR adding font family option to Global Styles. 24868
- PR adding font-weight option to Global Styles. 24978
- Font stack options discussion. 25032
- Global styles affecting non-FSE themes. 24326
- Cover block: Update the box-sizing attribute. 25515
- Spacer block: Allow 1px tall spacers. 25528
- Allow theme-only CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. variables in theme.json. 25446
- Full Site Editing Milestones. 24551
- Template Tags in Full Site Editing. 22724
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, @joen, and @scruffian for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!