Hello! This is the 17th weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Enable custom units by default. 24873
- Allow arbitrary widths for columns. 24711
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based Themes
- PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. Theme Template Compatibility Proposal. 24803
- Follow up: Have Gutenberg fall back to PHP templates if a block-based template does not exist. 24834
- Template handling on theme-switching. 25071
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Missing query block functionality. 24934
- PR to add Tags support to the query block. 25005
- Add multiple categories in the query block. 25047
- Allow using featured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts. as background for the Group block. 24660
- Add font family picking mechanism 24868
- Font stack options discussion. 25032
- Global styles affecting non-FSE themes. 24326
- Allow enabling custom line heights in
- Add padding support to Group block. 24966
- Convert all front-end pixel values to
- Give the Template Part block attribute feature parity with the Group block. 25029
- Full Site Editing Milestones. 24551
- Template Tags in Full Site Editing. 22724
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, @joen, and @scruffian for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!