This week we held our bi-weekly block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based themes meeting in the #themereview channel. The conversation starts here. The agenda for this meeting can be found here.
Notes were kept by @bappi.
- There’s a new high-level overview issue for full-site editing that’s worth bookmarking. It gives a great overview of milestones related to the feature and will link out to sub-tickets when applicable: #24551
- @kjellr mentioned that @ari has been incredibly busy opening theme-related Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/ PRs during the past few weeks. When compiling last week’s Gutenberg + Themes updates, it seemed like the majority of the new issues + PRs came from him.
Discussion: If the block-based theme meetings are useful or not.
We had a discussion about the block-based theme meetings. Most of the attendees agreed that these meetings are helpful. @ari mentioned that these meetings are more helpful when there are other attendees than Theme reps. @kjellr mentioned about re-formatting the meeting focusing more discussions and fewer updates as there’s a separate place for the block-based themes updates. There was also a discussion about block-based themes headers.
- There was a discussion on the block-based themes navigation menu A theme feature introduced with Version 3.0. WordPress includes an easy to use mechanism for giving various control options to get users to click from one place to another on a site. and what kind of options should be added.
- The navigation menus from the core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. are going to be tricky to get right for everybody.
- @iandstewart shared his thoughts on Full Site Editing. New issues were created in the Gutenberg repository for functionality that is missing.
Proofread by @aristath and @poena