Hello! This is the 15th weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Site editing milestones. 24551
- Outline button does not apply custom text color. 24625
- Allow arbitrary widths for columns. 24711
- Convert all front-end pixel values to
- Consider the use of the
prefers-color-scheme media query in Gutenberg + Themes. 24368
- Avoid using Gutenberg’s
$grid-unit variables in the front end. 24432
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based Themes
- Articulate requirements for porting existing themes. 24313
- How to sync edits from theme to site editor. 22469
- Improve template part visibility and enable browse mode. 24252
- Discussing the “Hero/Cover Block” pattern for headers. 24634
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Allow using featured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts. as background for the Group block. 24660
- Site title should be a link. 24716
- Global styles affecting non-FSE themes. 24326
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
theme.json cross-platform (web & mobile). 24165
--wp-admin-theme-color variable from front-facing styles. 24436
- Fix specificity for buttons with outline style and background colors. 24599
- Remove hardcoded colors from the Navigation block. 24462
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!