Hi everyone! Here’s the eleventh weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present in previous weeks. We’ve tried to put brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Clarification of link-color documentation. 24056
- Discussion about moving away from editor-provided inline styles. 23893
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based Themes
- Do not render post content block if context matches current post. 24010
- Editor sticking & whitespace problems. 24009
- Discussion about the support of shortcodes in block-based theme templates. 23626
- Discussing the use of conditional logic in
- Tracking issue for Template Tags in Full Site Editing. 22724
- Add Template lock to templates created in the editor. 23532
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Site title block not saving properly. 24003
- Adding style attributes to the comment count block. 24167
- Adding style attributes to the comment form block. 24162
- Add a post categories block. 24091
- Add color support to the post content block. 24014
- Disable post content block when editing content. 24006
- Template Part block deletes on rename. 24000
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
theme.json cross-platform (web & mobile). 24165
- Change text colors depending on the background. 24166
- This board tracks Navigation Screen and Navigation Block issues that are important for the WordPress 5.5 release. Project Overview
- Add style support to the post comments block. 24080
- Add style support to the post excerpt An excerpt is the description of the blog post or page that will by default show on the blog archive page, in search results (SERPs), and on social media. With an SEO plugin, the excerpt may also be in that plugin’s metabox. block. 23945
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!