Hi everyone! Here’s the ninth weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present in previous weeks. We’ve tried to put brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Custom gradients cannot be edited if there are no explicit stops specified. 23501
- Gradient stops should be allowed to fully overlap in the gradient UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing.. 23816
- Discussion around adding font unit options to the font size selector. 23323
Block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.-based Themes
- Add a tutorial about how to build a block-based theme. 23732
- Discussion about the support of shortcodes in block-based theme templates. 23626
- Discussing the use of conditional logic in
- Tracking issue for Template Tags in Full Site Editing. 22724
- Add Template lock to templates created in editor. 23532
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- Add a site description block. 23788
- HTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. and CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. not present/inconsistent for FSE Blocks. 22759
- Suggestion for Site Title styling options. 23228
- Group block is missing alignment options in the full-site editor. 23431
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
- This board tracks Navigation Screen and Navigation Block issues that are important for the WordPress 5.5 release. Project Overview
- There is a new standing weekly meeting in #core slack specific to the Navigation block and screen. The first meeting was Wednesday July 8th.
- Fixes for the issue where custom theme colors don’t work in the editor after Gutenberg 7.9.1. 22356
- Fix centered legacy buttons. 23381
- Add a default line height rule to the post title. 23656
- Add a Site Logo Block. 18811
- Expand and update Block-based Themes documentation page. 23750
- Link to theme-experiments repo in block-based theme documentation. 23748
- References to “Section” in the full-site editor were changed back to “Template Part” 23765
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!