Hi everyone! Here’s the seventh weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present in previous weeks. We’ve tried to put brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Hexadecimal colors in gradient presets break the block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. preview. 23361
- Discussion around adding font unit options to the font size selector. 23323
- Button Block: Lighten the DOM in the editor. 23222
- Limit display of block patterns if their included blocks are not available. 23275
- PR to adjust max-width setting for reusable blocks. 22632
- PR for adding color controls to the list block. 21387
- PR to change CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. specificity of default font-size rules. 22671
- Fixes for the issue where custom theme colors don’t work in the editor after Gutenberg 7.9.1. 22356
- Add a way to filter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. CSS classes for blocks using PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. 23223
- Consider renaming
experimental-theme.json documentation to “Global Styles” 23307
- Discussing the use of conditional logic in
- Issue where HTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. file updates are not being reflected in the full site editor. 23106
- Tracking issue for Template Tags in Full Site Editing 22724
- Template Part: Improve insertion flow 22395
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- HTML and CSS not present/inconsistent for FSE Blocks 22759
- Suggestion for Site Title styling options. 23228
- Group block is missing alignment options in the full-site editor. 23431
- Add a Site Logo Block 18811
- Discussion about presets for line-height, padding and margin. 23111
- Recap and next steps for Global Styles. 22296
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
- This board tracks Navigation Screen and Navigation Block issues that are important for the WordPress 5.5 release. Project Overview
- Allow block attributes to be modified while multiple blocks are selected. 22470
- Add image editing. 23349
- Enable block directory. 23389
- Add additional top margin to the post title. 23447
- Fix a bug with color saturation in the color pick. 23272
- Add hexadecimal support to gradient presets. 23363
- Button Block: Fix for legacy button alignments. 23381
- Button Block: Reduce unnecessary specificity. 23246
- Removal of extra canvas padding in the editor. 22213
- Clarification to
wp-block-styles documentation. 23359
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!