Hi everyone! Here’s the fifth weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/.
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present in previous weeks. We’ve tried to put brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Simplify the Quote block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.’s editor markup to better match the front end. 22803
- PR to adjust max-width setting for reusable blocks. 22632
- PR for adding color controls to the list block. 21387
- PR to change CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. specificity of default font-size rules. 22671
- Fixes for the issue where custom theme colors don’t work in the editor after Gutenberg 7.9.1. 22356
- An attempt to remove some of the extra canvas padding in the editor. 22213
- Tracking issue for Template Tags in Full Site Editing 22724
- Syncing theme templates to the block editor in all contexts: 22469
- Figuring out a way to handle inline dynamic content in theme templates. 21932
FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. Blocks
A set of blocks are available with the Gutenberg plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party to enable building templates in FSE.
- HTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites./CSS output not consistent. 22759
- Last element in “Latest Posts” block has wrong right margin. 22911
- FSE blocks are missing classnames on the front end. 21903
- Site Title: Add support settings for colors, fonts, and line height. 23007
- Recap and next steps for Global Styles. 22296
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
- This board tracks Navigation Screen and Navigation Block issues that are important for the WordPress 5.5 release. Project Overview
- New padding control to cover block. (21492, 23041)
- New link color control to paragraph, heading, group, columns, and media-text blocks. (22722, 23025, 23049)
- Experimental version of rich image editing tools. (21024, 22870)
- Remove padding inheritance on lists in editor-styles (23080)
- Add alignment and heading level support to the post title block. 22872
- Add more customization options to the Author block. 22877
- PR to add an “Export Theme” button to the Full Site Editor in the plugin. 22922
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @joen, and @kjellr for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!