Hi everyone! Here’s the fourth weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/. This one’s coming one day late — we were all busy watching the excellent WCEU talks on Friday! 🙌
One quick thing to note before we get to the tickets: If anyone would like to follow along with the Full Site Editing Outreach Experiment, feel free to join the #fse-outreach-experiment channel on slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/..
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present in previous weeks. We’ve tried to put brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in on the tickets below — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Simplify the Quote block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience.’s editor markup to better match the front end. 22803
- PR to adjust max-width setting for reusable blocks. 22632
- PR for adding color controls to the list block. 21387
- PR to change CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. specificity of default font-size rules. 22671
- Fixes for the issue where custom theme colors don’t work in the editor after Gutenberg 7.9.1. 22356
- An attempt to remove some of the extra canvas padding in the editor. 22213
- A conceptual discussion about removing all default margins for blocks in the editor. 22208
- A draft for converting pixel values to
- Add alignment and heading level support to the post title block. 22872
- Add more customization options to the Author block. 22877
- PR to add an “Export Theme” button to the Full Site Editor in the plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party. 22922
- Tracking issue for Template Tags in Full Site Editing 22724
- Syncing theme templates to the block editor in all contexts: 22469
- Figuring out a way to handle inline dynamic content in theme templates. 21932
- FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. blocks are missing classnames on the front end. 21903
- Recap and next steps for Global Styles. 22296
- Tracking and consolidating style attributes for blocks. 22700
- Remove form control resets and include in components instead. 22596
- Fix the appearance of Group block children in the editor. 22746
- Add ability to change link color in `experimental-theme.json`, add to documentation. 22722 22929
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!
Edited by @williampatton to correct link to FSE labled issues.