Hi everyone! Here’s the second weekly roundup of theme-related discussions, fixes, and developments in Gutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/. It can be hard to stay up to date, so hopefully this can serve as a quick reference.
Since conversations are ongoing, some of the issues & PRs mentioned were also present last week. In those cases, we’ve tried to put any brand new ones at the top of each of the bulleted lists.
Please weigh in to discuss solutions — your voice and feedback are welcome!
In progress / Discussions:
- Fixes for the issue where custom theme colors don’t work in the editor after Gutenberg 7.9.1. 22356 22526
- An attempt to remove some of the extra canvas padding in the editor. 22213
- A conceptual discussion about removing all default margins for blocks in the editor. 22208
- A discussion around standardizing classnames for blocks with backgrounds. 21439
- A draft PR to begin converting
px values to
- A PR to add darker colors to the blockquote + pullquote blocks when a theme opts into default block Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. styles and dark mode. 22451
- Syncing theme templates to the block editor in all contexts: 22469
- Discussion around using PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. inside of block-based templates. 21932
- FSE Short for Full Site Editing, a project for the Gutenberg plugin and the editor where a full page layout is created using only blocks. blocks are missing classnames on the front end. 21903
- Recap and next steps for Global Styles 22296
- Prevent theme editor style bleed into the button component. 22460
- Fix a bug related to buttons with a border radius of zero. 22393
- Simplify cover block markup in the editor, to make theme styling easier. 22348
- New page-based navigation in the full-site editor. 22368
- Framework for how themes could specify design choices for blocks. 20290
experimental-theme.json to be processed in the front end as well as all block editors. 22520
- Documentation for
Thanks to @itsjusteileen, @jffng, and @joen for help pulling this post together. Please let us know if it was helpful in the comments!