In anticipation of the content creation discussion, and as a continuation of last week’s meeting, please post in the comments examples of types of content that you believe need clarification.
To reiterate: what we want to do is two-fold:
- Clarify what constitutes user content
- Identify what, if any, of such content is acceptable to be defined by the Theme
Please read @greenshady‘s post, where you will find the obvious things that are out-of-scope:
- Custom post types.
- Custom taxonomies.
- Non-presentational post metadata.
- Database tables.
- Custom comment types.
Justin lists four types of other content:
- Footer text
- Portfolio projects
- Profile widget A WordPress Widget is a small block that performs a specific function. You can add these widgets in sidebars also known as widget-ready areas on your web page. WordPress widgets were originally created to provide a simple and easy-to-use way of giving design and structure control of the WordPress theme to the user.
- Front-page content sections
If you have more, please post your examples here, before discussing them in the meeting, in the hopes that the discussion in Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. will be as orderly/organized as possible. Also, please try to be as descriptive as possible. A “custom text widget” doesn’t really help. What is the purpose of that custom text widget? What type of content is it intended to create/hold/present?