We are going to hold a Design Challenge Weekend December 13th – 14th.
This weekend is aimed at inspiring designers and developers. We have a few goals:
- Raise the design standard of the WordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/ theme repo.
- Matching up developers to designers.
- Encouraging designers to create themes.
- Offering resources for designers to learn to make themes.
- Educating developers in design.
- Get some kicking themes up in the repo!
Leading up to the weekend we are going to have a few learnups on Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.. We’ve not set dates for those yet but we have 3 pencilled in:
We also will be having blog posts relating to design. Everything will start off the first week in December leading up to the event.
How can you get involved?
It’s simple. On the day there will be 3 blog posts go up on this blog.
- Designers looking for developers.
- Developers looking for designers.
- Designers doing it for themselves.
Then you get working on a theme! As the weekend progresses you can add in your comment leaving the theme you are working. It can be a full theme, partial, visual or html HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites./CSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site. mockups – the choice is yours. The idea is we get to link people up too. So, if you see a developer looking for a designer you can contact them.
During the entire weekend we’re going to take as much to Slack in #themereview as we can. We’ll have some scheduled design critique sessions along with the chance at any point to pop in and get opinions. The main focus of the weekend is going to be helping each other and revealing in theme design. Pretty cool right?