Theme review team weekly notes
The logs are here: https://wordpress.slack.com/archives/themereview/p1415728749000502
- Handbook update: handbook is on track for required/recommended release in week or so and then fully complete by end of month
- The doing_it_wrong theme: beta A pre-release of software that is given out to a large group of users to trial under real conditions. Beta versions have gone through alpha testing in-house and are generally fairly close in look, feel and function to the final product; however, design changes often occur as part of the process. is now ready here:
Make post is going up this week with updates and how people can get involved.
All the issues with theme will be done at root so there is one downloadable theme with the issues in it rather than branches.
- Design challenge weekend.
For those of you that don’t know @melchoyce and the design team are going to work with us to try and educate and inspire some designers and developers.
The idea being a few things:
1. Matching devs up to designers
2. Encouraging designers to code themes (not just design)
3. Finding developers for themes that need it
4. Generally educating and raising theme awareness in designers
5. Generally educating and raising design awareness in theme developers
The idea underneath it all is to raise the design quality of the repo.
The format will be:
1. Slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. learnups leading up to the event:
–@greenshady offered to do one on making a child theme A Child Theme is a customized theme based upon a Parent Theme. It’s considered best practice to create a child theme if you want to modify the CSS of your theme. https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/advanced-topics/child-themes/..
–@karmatosed (me) will do one on _s.
–@melchoyce will do one on design principles for developers
We will also have a basics of theme design learnup for designers
2. Blog posts from design awesome peeps on make.themes.
1. 3 blog posts put up on make.blog:
- Designers looking for developers
- Developers looking for designers
- Designers doing it for themselves
2. During the day there will be design critiques
3. Hand-offs can be either finished or partial, visual or html HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites./css mockups
The date for this will be December 13th – 14th. More details will follow next week.