The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
This post attempts to summarize testing activities for WordPress 6.0. As currently there’s no established process for tracking testing activities within GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/, the following stats are only from TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. tickets.
Please note, this summary is not a complete account of testing activities, but rather a gathering of what can be tracked within Trac.
There were 234 Trac tickets closed in 6.0, excluding copy or docs only tickets.
Of these tickets:
- 5% (11 tickets) have testing instructions
- 28% (66 tickets) have automated tests
- 8% (18 tickets) have one or more test report(s)
Data Gathering Process
This section shares how the data was gathered for the stats.
- Tickets with testing instructions were identified using the Trac keyword
has-testing-info. This keyword is manually added during triage when step-by-step instructions (written or video / gif) are present within the ticket.
- Disclaimer: Other tickets may have instructions, but were not flagged with the keyword.
- Tickets with automated tests (PHPUnit, integration, and e2e tests) were identified using Trac’s
- Test Reports were gathered by manually scanning each closed 6.0 Trac ticket for the phrase
Test Reportand then verifying the presence of an actual test report.
- Disclaimer: Some tickets may have a non-formal test report such as sharing a gif or screenshot to show before and after state / behavior.