The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
Hello again! Welcome to a new edition of Week in Test, where contributors of any skill level can find a handy list of links and opportunities to start testing WordPress. Join the Test Team in #core-test for thoughtful discussion, and occassional 🥛 & 🍪.
Did you know that contributions with the Test Team are also a fantastic way to level up your WordPress knowledge and skill? Dive in to contribute, and gain coveted props 😎 for a coming release.
🙋♀️ 🙋 Hi, Contributors! Let’s get rolling…
Reproduction Testing 🔁
Who? Any contributor.
Why? It is helpful to show an issue exists for other users in order to move a ticket forward for patching.
The following new tickets are awaiting review, and need testers to attempt to reproduce the reported issue (aka “repro”), and then provide a reproduction test report with the results:
- #55783: Word break/wrap in button text does not work as expected on frontend (Twenty Seventeen theme).
- #55751: Filters for
previous_posts_link_attributesare applying to the opposite links than the filterFilter Filters are one of the two types of Hooks https://codex.wordpress.org/Plugin_API/Hooks. They provide a way for functions to modify data of other functions. They are the counterpart to Actions. Unlike Actions, filters are meant to work in an isolated manner, and should never have side effects such as affecting global variables and output. names suggest.
- #55755: Enabling REST APIREST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/. on custom post typeCustom Post Type WordPress can hold and display many different types of content. A single item of such a content is generally called a post, although post is also a specific post type. Custom Post Types gives your site the ability to have templated posts, to simplify the concept. disables Featured ImageFeatured image A featured image is the main image used on your blog archive page and is pulled when the post or page is shared on social media. The image can be used to display in widget areas on your site or in a summary list of posts. (
Patch Testing 🩹
Who? All contributors (not just developers) who can set up a local testing environment.
Why? It is necessary to apply proposed patches and test per the testing instructions in order to validate that a patch fixes the issue.
The following tickets have been reviewed and a patch provided, and need testers to apply the patch and manually test, then provide feedback through a patch test report:
- #52992: Avoid unnecessary overhead when preparing REST API links.
- #55691: Editor unable to find homepage template when
WP_SITEURL(Bedrock and Docker).
- #17025: Make
Who? Any QA or PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. developer contributors who can (or are interested in learning how to) build automated PHPUnit tests.
Why? Automated tests improve the software development feedback loopLoop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. for quality and backward compatibility.
- #27048: Allow selection of post types during export.
- #51986: Resolve PHP warning when not registering endpoint args as array of arrays. Also see unit test suggestion hints in this comment.
wp_filter_nohtml_kses()does not remove HTMLHTML HTML is an acronym for Hyper Text Markup Language. It is a markup language that is used in the development of web pages and websites. comments.
- Request for feedback: Recording Five for the Future contributions: Revisit how 5ftF contributions should be recognized.
- Help Wanted: Test WordPress 6.0: WordPress 6.0 is released today 🎉
Meetings This Week 🗓
- 24 May 2022 @ 13:00 UTC:
<test-chat>in #core-test .
- 27 May 2022 @ 13:15 UTC:
- And don’t forget to provide feedback on the proposal to move weekly
<test-triage>sessions from 13:00 to 16:00 or 17:00 UTC. Join the discussion.