The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
The team was able to decrease the numbers of tickets.
Modernizing to the Latest PHPUnit
@hellofromtonya described how this changes impact CoreCore Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. testers. Anyone that’s running the PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. test suite or buil automated integration tests, should read the dev note.
For running the PHP test suite with Docker, nothing changes in your workflow:
npm install npm run build:dev npm run env:start npm run env:install
and for running the tests:
npm run test:php
for running a specific group:
npm run test:php -- --group groupname
When not using Docker to test, then there are extra steps. The handbook and Dev Note provide the details.
5.9 Test Roadmap
In 5.9 release, Test Team will introduce the roadmap.
Everyone agreed that it’s necessary and help with the process of analyse and future improvement. @hellofromtonya also mention that we’ll implement a longer term vision, called North Star.
@hellofromtonya shared an idea to have 5 separate focal groups in Test Team, each will need folks to shepherd the group:
- e2e – @justinahinon
- PHP Test – @hellofromtonya
- QA – @mai21
- Test Handbook – @francina
- Manual Testing – @boniu91
If anyone is interested in being a co-lead of any group, it’s definitely possible and the Team is looking forward for new members.
@hellofromtonya shared expectations:
- Shepherd your focal group – meaning be active in it, help contributors, know the status, help move work forward, stay aligned to the roadmap, and help to develop the roadmap
- Each week – share an update for your group (can go in the team’s update)
- When blocked or need more help, pingPing The act of sending a very small amount of data to an end point. Ping is used in computer science to illicit a response from a target server to test it’s connection. Ping is also a term used by Slack users to @ someone or send them a direct message (DM). Users might say something along the lines of “Ping me when the meeting starts.” Team Reps or another group for help
Team agreed that we need a bit of advertisment of our group.