Welcome to this week’s edition of “Week in Test”. This post highlights where you as a contributor can get involved (testers needed), learning opportunities, and some reading to keep you informed.
🙋♀️ 🙋 Contributing: Tester Help Needed
Looking for ways to contribute? The following tickets and patches need contributors.
Manual testing help needed
Who? All contributors (not just developers) who can set up a local testing environment, apply patches, and test per the testing instructions.
The following are tickets and patches that need testers to manual test and provide feedback (test report):
- #53962: Check comment is approved before allowing replies – @peterwilsoncc asked for help testing (see Slack comment here)
- #52241: Windows OS specific – infinite loop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. in
- #53429: Twenty Twenty-One dark mode (for 5.8.2)
PHPUnit tests help needed
Who? Any QA or PHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. developer contributors who can (or is interested in learning how to) build automated PHPUnit tests.
The following tickets need PHPUnit tests build:
- #47642: Order by comment count – posts list tables
- #52241: Windows OS specific – infinite loop in
- #50567: Set
$post in update_post_cache()
- #49985: REST API The REST API is an acronym for the RESTful Application Program Interface (API) that uses HTTP requests to GET, PUT, POST and DELETE data. It is how the front end of an application (think “phone app” or “website”) can communicate with the data store (think “database” or “file system”) https://developer.wordpress.org/rest-api/.: Using
_fields query parameters in the same query
- #52252: PHP Notice when
monthnum query var is set without the
Reproducing reported issue help needed:
Who? Any contributor.
Since last week, there are at least 18 new tickets which need testers to attempt reproducing the reported issue and then providing a test report with the results.
Reproducing the reported issue is the first step in a new defect ticket’s lifecycle. Why? In order to fix a bug, first step is confirm the bug is reproducible and is due to WordPress Core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. itself (and not a third party like a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party or theme).
Documentation help needed
Who? Any contributor
🎙 This Friday at 14:00 UTC: come join the live working session.
Watch and learn past working sessions:
Props to @boniu91 for peer review.
#build-test-tools, #core-test, #testing-plugins