The Test Team has been without reps for years (see slack thread). With the team’s revival, it’s time to nominate (and then elect) team reps (i.e. an abbreviation for team representative).
What are Team Reps?
- They represent the team
- Quantity: 1 to 2
- Main tasks: mostly administrative
- Weekly time commitment: ~1 hour per week
- Term: 1 year
- Full details: read here
- Who: see the qualifications below
Team reps are responsible for communicating on behalf of the team to the other contributor groups and teams via weekly updates and cross-team chats.
In the WordPress open source Open Source denotes software for which the original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified. Open Source **must be** delivered via a licensing model, see GPL. project, each team has on average one or two reps. While some teams have more than two, I propose we stick with electing one to two reps for this term. For the historians out there, this role goes way back to 2012.
It is not called “team lead” for a reason. While people elected as team reps will generally come from the pool of folks that people think of as experienced leaders, remember that the team rep A Team Rep is a person who represents the Make WordPress team to the rest of the project, make sure issues are raised and addressed as needed, and coordinates cross-team efforts. role is designed to change hands regularly.
Team Rep is a leadership role that is mostly administrative in nature; it is not a Lead role. Letting go of the Team Rep title is not a loss of status, just a handing off of responsibilities. Someone who is a leader in a team can lead whether they are doing the team rep job or not.from Team Reps on Updates
What are the main tasks?
- Posting a weekly update of the team’s activity in Updates
- Raising any issues or red flags that other teams should be aware of or discussing
- Keeping an eye on the moving parts of the team to be able to report for quarterly updates: team’s current top priority, most recent priority, challenges, and big win(s) (example)
- Writing the agenda for the biweekly team chat (example)
- Facilitating the team’s weekly meetings: e.g. test triage (example) and team chat (example)
What are the qualifications?
A rep is an active team member who is reliable and trusted, advocates for and is knowledgeable of one or more areas of testing, and wants to represent, nurture, and grow the team to serve the WordPress open source project.
How Do I Nominate Someone?
- Where: in this post’s comments or privately via DM in Making WordPress slack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/.
- Deadline: Monday, August 2
- Do you have to accept a nomination? No
We nominate people in the comments of this post. You can write a comment as simple as “I nominate @the_persons_username.” Self-nominations are welcome by leaving a comment such as “I nominate myself.” If you want to nominate someone in private, please reach out to me (@hellofromtonya) on Slack.
The deadline for nominations is Monday, August 2.
Each person who is nominated will be contacted to discuss qualifications and to accept or decline their nomination.
If you get nominated, please do not feel like you have to say “yes”! It’s okay for you to decline the nomination if you don’t feel like this is the right fit for any reason. “Thank you, but no thank you” 😉
How Will the Election Work?
If there are enough accepted nominations that an election is necessary, then we’ll use an anonymous poll for the election (example). The poll will remain open for 2 weeks.
Once the results are done, the new team rep(s) will be announced in a post (example).
Call for Test Team Rep Nominations!
Ready? It’s time to nominate people to serve for a year as our Test Team Reps.
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask in the comments. Happy nominating!