The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
This was the team’s first team chat in a year or more.
Discussion: What’s the team’s purpose?
@lucatume asked “what’s the purpose of the group?” Great question!
A healthy discussion happened around the history of the team and what role we serve in the project. The discussion starts here in the slack thread.
Some highlights are captured here:
- Tonya shared the team’s history:
- “The team is deeply rooted in validating and surfacing issues with user experience and usability. That’s where it started and lived in the space of testing workflows, screens, results, etc. through manual testing with users. Over the years, more and more testing has come to WordPress in the form of automated tests.”
- “rebooting it [the team] to be all things QA and testing including triage, education, outreach, documentation, and expanding to multi-dimensional testing (automated testing, manual testing, usability – user – testing, and environment testing).”
- Charter statement:
- Tonya then shared “we as a team can formulate the actual charter statement. But here’s what I’m thinking (open to discussion):
- “to create a high quality feedback loopLoop The Loop is PHP code used by WordPress to display posts. Using The Loop, WordPress processes each post to be displayed on the current page, and formats it according to how it matches specified criteria within The Loop tags. Any HTML or PHP code in the Loop will be processed on each post. https://codex.wordpress.org/The_Loop. into the project to continuously improve and elevate the quality and usability of WordPress”
- Is the charter statement too generic?
Action Item: Tonya to publish a vision of the team’s big picture of how the team can serve the project.
Discussion: Why did the team go dormant?
Some of the reasons given include:
- Testing and quality know-how
- Interest in driving the team
- Clear path for how QA and testing can serve the project
Discussion: autogenerating e2e tests
The team agreed this is a great idea to help anyone contribute to testing.