Teamwork makes the dream work, and in reflecting on the one year of the experimental FSE Outreach Program, it seems important to recognize those who have helped make this a success thus far. To that end, I wanted to open up a discussion around how we can incorporate profile badges into the FSE Outreach Program to recognize folks who have been deeply involved in responding to program efforts. I’m not sure how this is usually done with the test team, but I’d love to acknowledge the wonderful folks who have helped thus far!
Currently, my thinking is that contributor badges could be given in two cases:
- Gave feedback on 5+ calls for testing.
- Translated 5+ calls for testing.
Share your questions/feedback by June 4th
At this point, these are the questions on my mind to discuss:
- Does the amount of participation make sense to you (5+ calls for testing)?
- Does a Polyglot profile badge already cover the latter item around translating calls for testing?
- Are there other ways people are contributing that should be acknowledged with a badge?
Based on what I see on other teams that do contributor badges, badges are associated closely with the mission of the team, so I am purposefully not including amplification efforts here. Tied to this, I’m not including wrangling group testing as I still see that as being consolidated into giving feedback on 5+ calls for testing. I don’t feel strongly about either aspect and would love to hear what others think!
If this proceeds, I’ll do the following:
- Share a follow-up post confirming how badges are earned
- Get access to assign badges to individuals.
- Coordinate with the Meta Meta is a term that refers to the inside workings of a group. For us, this is the team that works on internal WordPress sites like WordCamp Central and Make WordPress. team to add badges to the profiles of those who already qualify.
- Update documentation accordingly.
In the long run, I’d also love for this to set the groundwork for more people to get involved in the actual running of the program: writing calls for testing, triaging feedback, writing summary posts, etc. This might mean in the future that badges are given after you’ve helped with one round of testing.