The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
- We chit chatted before recording about our various usernames and why we picked what we did!
- Anne briefly gave an overview of the current call for testing open until May 26th.
- We briefly covered the UX of using the Post Content Block as Anne thought she was running into a bug but it’s more of a painful UXUX UX is an acronym for User Experience - the way the user uses the UI. Think ‘what they are doing’ and less about how they do it. than anything else.
- We talked about the proposal to hide Post Blocks in the post editor for 5.8 since many of these theme blocks aren’t truly necessary there. Everyone agreed that this makes sense to have in place to prevent possible confusion with users.
- We explored Appearance > Template Parts and Templates talking about whether this entry point will be available in 5.8 and confirming that Template Part Block isn’t planned to be unlocked in classic themes for 5.8.
- We talked about a known bug with embeds, specifically YouTube not rendering in the Site Editor.
- We discussed the “click through to edit” approach being explored for template parts, reusable blocks, query blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience., and more.
- We covered the navigation block, the two dash icon over three dash icon, and how JS is being rendered on the front end in order to make the hamburger menu keyboard accessible.
- We closed out talking about the upcoming call for testing launching also on May 26th and focused on a more open ended exploration of Template Editing Mode. We chatted a bit about the pros and cons of having a test being very defined vs open ended in terms of getting the right balance to result in productive feedback for the project.
Anne is going to follow up on a few issues found and a discussion point to include as a comment in an issue:
- Replicate and report a bug in the spacing of a Query Block pattern.
- Replicate and report bug with Query Block pattern where the Title color does not update if you select the “make title a link” option.
- Re-share idea an idea from @mkaz to this discussion around adding into the “Quick edit” options the ability to assign a template or template part to a new theme.