The following is a summary of the bi-weekly Test Team triage meeting that occurred on 2021-05-04 13:00. A full transcript can be found here in the #core-test channel in the Make WordPress Slack. Meeting was moderated by @hellofromtonya.
Triage meetings are held every other Tuesday at 13:00 UTC. Reference to triage meetings announcement.
Team planned to triage each 5.8 ticket marked as needs testing to determine if:
- it is in a testable state
- if yes, ask for volunteers to:
- do the manual test
- if needed, write automated tests.
Once the session started, shifted to discuss keywords and workflows for collective understanding.
Testing Keyword Combinations
Started reviewing ticket 37255 which has these testing keywords:
This ticket is not in a testable state. Team decided to discuss the meaning and usage of the keywords as well as how this team will know when it’s ready to be tested.
- @hellofromtonya shared:
- currently means => “it’ll need manual human testing once it’s ready” but doesn’t necessarily mean it’s ready right now for this testing.
- can be added at any point in a ticket’s lifecycle.
- Core Handbook defines it as: “One or more people are needed to test the solution”, but does not indicate when the keyword should be added.
- Discussed removing keyword until it’s ready for testing:
- @mai21 asked if the
needs-testing keyword should be removed until all the testing details are added.
- @francina added it “should be added only when it satisfied the
- @hellofromtonya wondered how we’d know if a developer or maintainer wants the ticket to be manually tested if the keyword removed until ready.
Discussed workflow to know when a ticket is ready for Test Team action:
- Discussed if a new keyword is needed such as
- @boniu91 noted that “it’s pretty easy to sort the tickets in trac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/. using tags” and a ticket ready to test is noted as
has-patch needs-testing has-testing-info.
- @justinahinon suggested to make a P2 P2 or O2 is the term people use to refer to the Make WordPress blog. It can be found at https://make.wordpress.org/. post once the team agrees on how to add the tags/keywords
Asking for testing info
@hellofromtonya shared the
needs-testing-info script she used during 5.6 @hellofromtonya shared the
needs-testing-info script she used during 5.6 and 5.7 cycles:
Please provide need more information to help testers manually test the patch (including at Test Scrubs):
– What are the steps to test?
– Are there any testing dependencies, such as a plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party or script?
– What is the expected behavior after applying the patch?
Team briefly discussed. Ran out of time.
Meeting went past the planned hour. @hellofromtonya wrapped up by encouraging further async discussion and Q&A.
Thanks to everyone who attended!