The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
This is a summary of a Hallway Hangout that was wrangled in the #fse-outreach-experiment channel as part of the FSE Outreach Program. Thank you to everyone who joined in! If you’re keen to join an effort like this in the future, please join the slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. channel.
- We kicked off the call going through the latest summary post on building a restaurant header and some of the feedback items that came up there including talking about the navigation blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience., list view, and more.
- We talked in depth about the Navigation Block, including showing a demo of the mobile responsive menu that’s in progress. This will be part of the next call for testing so stay tuned!
- We discussed the theory behind the click through to edit pattern with template part blocks and viewed the current design/development in progress.
- We reviewed the Enhancing select mode overview issue, talked about what Select mode is for, and touched on a few other medium sized projects.
- List View was brought up while talking about more tools to use within the Site Editor leading to a discussion around using the persistent List View (always keeping it up) and general discoverability of the tool itself.
- The conversation about List View led nicely into discoverability of the toolbar items themselves and this recent exploration from a designer about moving more document attributes into the top bar in the post editor to help mimic some of what’s to come in the Site Editor.
- Finally, we plugged a few posts/docs including: the Full Site Editing Overview document in the dev handbook, the refinements to the core editor toolbar, and the latest call for questions.
@annezazu found a small bug with the navigation block where changing global styles typography changes the typography of the placeholder text and will report it!