The Test Team helps manage testing and triage across the WordPress ecosystem. They focus on user testing of the editing experience and WordPress dashboard, replicating and documenting bug reports, and supporting a culture of review and triage across the project.
In light of the 5.8 planning and next steps, I wanted to share the upcoming schedule for the FSE Outreach Program in order to ideally help people participate more in what’s to come. As changes occur and I’m able to create plans further out for 5.8, I’ll edit this post and note exactly what I changed at the very end of this post. I do expect changes so please see this all as what I anticipate vs set in stone plans.
As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask here or to DM me in slackSlack Slack is a Collaborative Group Chat Platform https://slack.com/. The WordPress community has its own Slack Channel at https://make.wordpress.org/chat/. (@annezazu).
Calls For Testing (aka CfT):
Based on what’s planned for 5.8, the following is lined up for testing:
- Call for Testing #5: currently underway!
- Call For Testing #6: focused on using template editing and the navigation blockBlock Block is the abstract term used to describe units of markup that, composed together, form the content or layout of a webpage using the WordPress editor. The idea combines concepts of what in the past may have achieved with shortcodes, custom HTML, and embed discovery into a single consistent API and user experience. within that experience.
- Call For Testing #7: TBD but likely focused on something like creating a more complex landing page using template editing and a more expansive set of theme blocks.
When I can, I’ll try to leave three weeks for testing rather than two but, due to the release timeline, this may not always be possible.
|Date||GutenbergGutenberg The Gutenberg project is the new Editor Interface for WordPress. The editor improves the process and experience of creating new content, making writing rich content much simpler. It uses ‘blocks’ to add richness rather than shortcodes, custom HTML etc. https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/||Questions Round 2||CfT #5||CfT #6||CfT #7|
|May 5||10.6 RCRelease Candidate A beta version of software with the potential to be a final product, which is ready to release unless significant bugs emerge.||End|
|May 19||10.7 RC|
|June 2||10.8 RC|
Outside of these calls for testing and questions, there will continue to be live streams, hallway hangouts, important posts flagged, etc. This post will be updated to include the relevant links as time progresses:
How to help:
This program has many pieces to it and there are tons of ways to get involved. At a high level, here are ways to help:
- Respond to the calls for testing with feedback.
- Submit FSE related questions to the upcoming call for questions.
- Help me find answers to any submitted questions and write the recap posts.
- Amplify calls for testing and the call for questions by sharing in your network.
- Translate the calls for testing for your local community.
- Explore testing FSE outside of the calls for testing and share any feedback in GitHub.
- Help me triage feedback that come in from the calls for testing and file any necessary issues.
- Help me write the calls for testing and the summary posts.
For any of the items that involve working with me directly, please comment on this post or message me directly (@annezazu) so I know you’re interested and we can talk through what helping out might mean. To those of you already doing this work, thank you so much! It all truly helps.
April 29th 2021: updated to include links to the fifth call for testing and the second round of questions.