- WordPress 4.3-alpha-32600
- Menu Customizer 0.4-20150525 (a core Core is the set of software required to run WordPress. The Core Development Team builds WordPress. feature-plugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party candidate)
- Safari iOS The operating system used on iPhones and iPads. 8.3 on iPhone 6
Note: this feature is still in development so there are some known issues (which I’m sure I’ve hit here).
- Blocker: tapping “+ Add Link” in a new menu resulted in a phantom UI UI is an acronym for User Interface - the layout of the page the user interacts with. Think ‘how are they doing that’ and less about what they are doing. (looks like it doesn’t move over into view like it should?).
- The “+ Add a Menu” button is hard to spot on mobile if you have several menus saved already.
- The “+ Add a Menu” button is sits really close to the bottom menu bar in Safari on iOS. Some space below it could help make it a bigger tap target.
- After tapping the “Reorder” link, I was surprised I could still tap and hold to drag menu items.
- Scrolling is really hard on iOS, especially with the menu items being so wide on a small device screen.
Start in the dashboard.
Land at the customizer Tool built into WordPress core that hooks into most modern themes. You can use it to preview and modify many of your site’s appearance settings. menu panel after tapping Tap menu icon > Appearance > Customize.
Try tapping the arrow to the right of Menus and accidentally tap the 4-square-boxes icon which opens the advanced menu properties. This surprised me.
Tap Menu Locations.
Change the Primary Menu to “Shorter Menu” and tap “Done.”
From here, tried tapping “+ Add a Menu” and the “+” turned into an “x” but couldn’t see the form at fist because it was still off screen below the button.
Scroll down and then can see a form to enter a new menu name.
This is what I saw after creating a menu, but I think I tapped something I shouldn’t have and the blank keyboard seems like an iOS bug, so I tap “Done” and try again.
Tap “+ Add Links” button.
Got stuck here. The cursor is present but the UI is invisible (very odd).
Next, try editing an existing menu. Tap “Testing Menu” and it opens very low on the screen so I have to scroll down.
Tap “Pages” since it’s a duplicate. Tap “x Remove” and it gets rid of the menu item.
Some of the items/arrows have a darker outline, but I’m not sure why. They seem stuck. (This could be user error because I tapped around a bunch.)
Tap “Shorter Menu.”
Tap indent icon to make “About” a submenu.
Open a menu with lots more items in it and scroll down to the “Reorder” link.
Tap “Reorder” and notice that I can still drag and drop while in this mode.
#customize, #customizer, #ios, #menus, #phone
You must be logged in to post a comment.