- Remove /extend/, promoting /plugins/, /themes/, /ideas/ to top-level and redirecting all old links. Come up with a better naming convention for the current pluginPlugin A plugin is a piece of software containing a group of functions that can be added to a WordPress website. They can extend functionality or add new features to your WordPress websites. WordPress plugins are written in the PHP programming language and integrate seamlessly with WordPress. These can be free in the WordPress.org Plugin Directory https://wordpress.org/plugins/ or can be cost-based plugin from a third-party/theme directories inside /extend/, as it is confusing (plugins-plugins, plugins-themes, extend-themes, etc). Maybe move all SupportPress installs to a single location, like /sp/plugins/, /sp/themes/, etc.
- Move /wp-admin/, /wp-includes/, and the loose wp-*.php files into a /wordpress/ external, but create nginxNGINX NGINX is open source software for web serving, reverse proxying, caching, load balancing, media streaming, and more. It started out as a web server designed for maximum performance and stability. In addition to its HTTP server capabilities, NGINX can also function as a proxy server for email (IMAP, POP3, and SMTP) and a reverse proxy and load balancer for HTTP, TCP, and UDP servers. https://www.nginx.com/. rules to keep existing URLs the same.
- Give nacin rw to nginx configs.
- (Low priority, just an idea.) Come up with a potential symlink solution for multiple bbPressbbPress Free, open source software built on top of WordPress for easily creating forums on sites. https://bbpress.org. 1.1 installs (support, plugins, themes, ideas) and SupportPress installs, to avoid so many externals.
TracTrac Trac is the place where contributors create issues for bugs or feature requests much like GitHub.https://core.trac.wordpress.org/.
- Add plugins.trac syntax highlighting for non-PHPPHP PHP (recursive acronym for PHP: Hypertext Preprocessor) is a widely-used open source general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for web development and can be embedded into HTML. http://php.net/manual/en/intro-whatis.php. (JS, CSSCSS CSS is an acronym for cascading style sheets. This is what controls the design or look and feel of a site.) files. (@barry)
- Update Trac to 0.12.4. This might fix the ticket commit update bug: http://trac.edgewall.org/ticket/10881. (@barry)
- Allow deployment of trac-environs, post-commit. trac.ini changes need a deployDeploy Launching code from a local development environment to the production web server, so that it's available to visitors.; templating changes need a server kick.
- Set up limited public access of a directory for dotorg.svn and dotorg.trac. Controlling future changes through svn-access is perfect (if that’s all it takes).
- MC button to generate nightly builds (both trunk and branch nightlies).
- New SupportPress setup to receive email@example.comWordPress.org The community site where WordPress code is created and shared by the users. This is where you can download the source code for WordPress core, plugins and themes as well as the central location for community conversations and organization. https://wordpress.org/.
- Update hyperdb to latest. Supposedly should help us better handle UTF-8 versus latin1 charset issues? New tables created (via multisiteMultisite Multisite is a WordPress feature which allows users to create a network of sites on a single WordPress installation. Available since WordPress version 3.0, Multisite is a continuation of WPMU or WordPress Multiuser project. WordPress MultiUser project was discontinued and its features were included into WordPress core.https://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network.) seem to still be latin1. Why? Will there ever be a point where we can convert the big latin1 tables like users and usermeta?
- Remove the current zip build process from the plugin directory.
- (Low priority, just an idea.) Give wp-themes.com a read-only database user (run DB schema updates on cron using a full permissions user) and/or isolate it from the rest of the dotorg grid.
- (Low priority, just an idea.) Consider some object caching for WP.org. Update /home/wporg/public_html/object-cache.php which handles mostly bbPress at the moment.
Other things @barry expressed interest in (low priority) —
- Clear old APIAPI An API or Application Programming Interface is a software intermediary that allows programs to interact with each other and share data in limited, clearly defined ways. tables, fix mobile API stats, etc. Can drop other old tables, too (daily_searches and many more).
- Clean up/rearrange nginx configs as appropriate.